Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off Road!

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off Road!

Postby MrKite » Mon May 15, '17, 7:11 am

This is one of the most fun racing games ever made. And who would've thought that an overhead racing game where the vehicle sprites are so tiny would be of such caliber? It's great on almost just about any system, exxept the Genesis, Game Boy and Game Gear. The original arcade version is also available on Midway Arcade Treasures 3 for the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube. My personal favorite version is on the SNES, which features all new music by the legendary Tim & Geoff Follin, which is some of the duo's greatest work ever!

Another version I like is on the Sega Master System, where the music from the original arcade game was wonderfully recreated by another game music legend, Matt Furniss:

Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Re: Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off Road!

Postby myau56 » Mon May 15, '17, 12:02 pm

I can remember this game ! But I've never been a big fan ! :( Same about MicroMachines ! I know this game is fun (like OR) with many players but... :(
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby MrKite » Mon May 15, '17, 12:32 pm

Micro Machines is another one I dig. I remember there was a time a couple of years ago where it got me briefly obsessed with Micro Machines and I started collecting some of them.
Last edited by MrKite on Mon May 15, '17, 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Postby myau56 » Mon May 15, '17, 12:44 pm

Happy that you love those "multiplayer racing-games" ! But I think I know why I never really liked them (same for Bomberman !) : maybe because I'm very bad at them ? :rofl:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Snorb » Tue May 16, '17, 5:25 am

Didn't some of Super Off Road get altered on the digital store(s) because they lost the Ironman license?

EDIT: I just looked at Wikipedia's page for the game-- Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's name and likeness were dropped from the Midway Arcade Treasures 3 ports; also, he's no longer the player character (you drive the white truck; the red, blue, and yellow CPU trucks are driven "Madman" Sam Powell, "Hurricane" Earl Stratton, and "Jammin'" John Morgan. Sam Powell composed the music for the arcade version, while Earl Stratton and John Morgan were two of the programmers. The white truck is now driven by "Lightning" Michael Lydy, who was one of the original game's graphic artists. So, theme naming all around!)

Fun fact: Sam Powell was also the composer for the Sega Genesis version of Shadowrun. He and Marshall Parker, the composer for the SNES Shadowrun, teamed up in 2013 to rearrange some of their tracks for Shadowrun Returns.
Last edited by Snorb on Tue May 16, '17, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby tilinelson2 » Tue May 16, '17, 2:02 pm

I used to play it on PC. It was fun, since it was one of the first games where you would earn money and upgrade your car. I used to play a lot together with my brother. It was not very comfortable for both to play using the same keyboard, but we managed somehow.
A person only sees and hears what he wants to see and hear and disregards the rest.
tilinelson2
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 277

Postby myau56 » Wed May 17, '17, 11:32 am

Both of you playing on the same keyboard ? Not easy ! :D
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby MrKite » Fri May 19, '17, 1:06 am

Snorb wrote:Didn't some of Super Off Road get altered on the digital store(s) because they lost the Ironman license?

EDIT: I just looked at Wikipedia's page for the game-- Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's name and likeness were dropped from the Midway Arcade Treasures 3 ports; also, he's no longer the player character (you drive the white truck; the red, blue, and yellow CPU trucks are driven "Madman" Sam Powell, "Hurricane" Earl Stratton, and "Jammin'" John Morgan. Sam Powell composed the music for the arcade version, while Earl Stratton and John Morgan were two of the programmers. The white truck is now driven by "Lightning" Michael Lydy, who was one of the original game's graphic artists. So, theme naming all around!)

Fun fact: Sam Powell was also the composer for the Sega Genesis version of Shadowrun. He and Marshall Parker, the composer for the SNES Shadowrun, teamed up in 2013 to rearrange some of their tracks for Shadowrun Returns.

Nice bit of info!

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Return to Retro Roundup