Item Creation Systems

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Item Creation Systems

Postby Thoul » Thu Dec 20, '07, 3:57 am

A lot of modern RPGs include some kind of crafting system, where the player can make various items from other items. Some are very basic and some have hundreds of different combinations. When you play a game that has a system like this, do you explore it in detail or only use it as much as necessary to complete the game? Do you like such systems or would you rather not see another one?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Neithird » Thu Dec 20, '07, 9:13 pm

They're okay, but item creation is getting kind of old. I can't think of an RPG I've played in the last couple of years that didn't have some cooking or synthesis system. I played around with the first few a lot, but after that I just did what was needed to get by in the game.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby SparkyIII » Fri Dec 21, '07, 4:54 am

I love the item creation, though only specific kinds. I like the kind where youre not necesarily making the item, just adding stuff to it. CON, RTA, BG:DA2. lol if you understand any of those Abbr.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Fri Dec 21, '07, 9:17 pm

I caught BG:DA2, but the rest went over my head. :p What are they?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Dec 23, '07, 8:42 am

Champions of Norrath, And the sequal Return to Arms. Same company as Everquest and BG:DA2.

We can tell because its full title is Champions of Norrath: Realms of Everquest. XDDDDDDD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Return to Tech and Design