It would be cool if...

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

It would be cool if...

Postby Apprentice_of_Crys » Fri Mar 25, '22, 7:42 pm

So I watched the YouTube Channel of Carbot Animations a few weeks ago an besides his great cartoons on Starcraft, Diablo and other Blizzard games he introduced his series "I'd be cool if" where he went crazy on ideas on what he would change to make Diablo II cooler. And I thought, hey, why not adapt this on the classic PS-series?

So here is what I thought about it: Let us discuss what we would like to see change in the four games and the series as a whole. Of course, nothing will change at all but lets just pretend that PS still was a thing and that an intern at Sega could patch the games and add new content. And since we are just speculating on stuff, anything might be possible, so let us have some fun and throw in some crazy, wild ideas.

The only rules are:

Only 3 suggestions per game and 3 suggestions for the series as a whole. I will take the first round and I am looking foward to read your ideas :grouphug:

DISCLAIMER: If there already is a forum post on things you would do in PS, pardon me, I didn't know or forgot it. But still, it may be fun to reignite the discussion.
Apprentice_of_Crys
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 62

Re: It would be cool if...

Postby Apprentice_of_Crys » Fri Mar 25, '22, 8:27 pm

PS I:
- Fix Odins stats. Odin is an awesome character but for the heavy hitter he is supposed he has far to less HP.
- Improve the dungeons (no more 90 turns and a ton of graphical changes would be desired). I know, PS I had its limits in technology, but hey, every kind of speculation is allowed :)
- Some slight adjustments to Magic (reduce costs a bit, improve use of combat spells so Lutz can do more fireworks)

PSII
- Give Kain and Hugh some more Techs and weapons which are not restricted to robots or bio monsters so both guys are more viables past the first two "acts" (Neifirst and the "journey" to Gaira)
- As long as Shir is with you, you have an automap of the dungeons. Sure, the dungeons were meant to be challenging mazes of death and broken Genesis controllers. So you only get the automap if Shir is in your party. To balance it, we keep most of Shir's stats which tend to be a bit worse than Amy's, Rudo's, Anna's and Rolf's. And I think it fits from a lore perspective since Shir is a thief so she probably like maps from the places she breaks in.
- Add romance options for Rolf so he is able to get some love from Amy, Shir or Anna.

PS III (this will be tough to stick to 3 options)
- More diversity in the third generation! While Nial's and Ayn's quests greatly differ from each other, all 3rd gen characters basically do the same stuff. Easy changes for more variety could be to hide some of the ancient weapons in other places (Siren doesn't always have to be in Sage Isle, Miun could leave Aridia in her madness, Laya's bow gets lots in Aron's strory etc). Some Laya palaces could be destroyed so you have to find gems to open up passages which were inaccessible in the original game.
- Some changes of characters in generation 3: Sean becomes a Layan who fights with staves instead of swords. He doesn't even use the Nei sword. Instead, the sword's powers get transferred to him. He then is able to control a more tactical version of Megido as his main ultimate weapon/tech. And Adan could become a female Orakian so we have a character who uses endgame knives (Adan's and Aron's are too similar anyway). In her case, the Nei Sword could be broken so she would be able to use the two shards as knives.
- Improve techs and give them a reason to be used (Healing spells are excluded). Example: Whoever casts Fanbi, Deban or Shu is the first character of the party to do anything in this turn. I always hated it when Mieu casted Fanbi on Crys, after he already attacked a strong enemy.

PS IV:
- Improve Rika's and Chaz's romance. It almost comes out of nowhere.
- You are ealier able to chose your 5th party member. I didn't like the part, where Chaz, Rika, Wren and Rune are only four until you run into Seth.
- Add some more areas on Rykros to explore an loot.

Complete series:
- Have our hereos talk too each other to flesh out their relationships and friendships, give them some scenes besides their quests to show their personality (especially PS I-III, PS IV already does a fairly good job at this).
- Make the main quests less linear and give the players some options on slighty differents paths.
- Add side quests and optional dungeons and areas to explore on your own (again, mostly for PS I-III, IV already does it).

So, now its your turn :) What do you think of my ideas and more importantly, what are your ideas?
Apprentice_of_Crys
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 62

Postby myau56 » Sat Mar 26, '22, 11:30 am

Apprentice_of_Crys wrote:PS I:
- Fix Odins stats. Odin is an awesome character but for the heavy hitter he is supposed he has far to less HP.
- Improve the dungeons (no more 90 turns and a ton of graphical changes would be desired). I know, PS I had its limits in technology, but hey, every kind of speculation is allowed :)
- Some slight adjustments to Magic (reduce costs a bit, improve use of combat spells so Lutz can do more fireworks)

PSII
- Give Kain and Hugh some more Techs and weapons which are not restricted to robots or bio monsters so both guys are more viables past the first two "acts" (Neifirst and the "journey" to Gaira)
- As long as Shir is with you, you have an automap of the dungeons. Sure, the dungeons were meant to be challenging mazes of death and broken Genesis controllers. So you only get the automap if Shir is in your party. To balance it, we keep most of Shir's stats which tend to be a bit worse than Amy's, Rudo's, Anna's and Rolf's. And I think it fits from a lore perspective since Shir is a thief so she probably like maps from the places she breaks in.
- Add romance options for Rolf so he is able to get some love from Amy, Shir or Anna.

PS III (this will be tough to stick to 3 options)
- More diversity in the third generation! While Nial's and Ayn's quests greatly differ from each other, all 3rd gen characters basically do the same stuff. Easy changes for more variety could be to hide some of the ancient weapons in other places (Siren doesn't always have to be in Sage Isle, Miun could leave Aridia in her madness, Laya's bow gets lots in Aron's strory etc). Some Laya palaces could be destroyed so you have to find gems to open up passages which were inaccessible in the original game.
- Some changes of characters in generation 3: Sean becomes a Layan who fights with staves instead of swords. He doesn't even use the Nei sword. Instead, the sword's powers get transferred to him. He then is able to control a more tactical version of Megido as his main ultimate weapon/tech. And Adan could become a female Orakian so we have a character who uses endgame knives (Adan's and Aron's are too similar anyway). In her case, the Nei Sword could be broken so she would be able to use the two shards as knives.
- Improve techs and give them a reason to be used (Healing spells are excluded). Example: Whoever casts Fanbi, Deban or Shu is the first character of the party to do anything in this turn. I always hated it when Mieu casted Fanbi on Crys, after he already attacked a strong enemy.

PS IV:
- Improve Rika's and Chaz's romance. It almost comes out of nowhere.
- You are ealier able to chose your 5th party member. I didn't like the part, where Chaz, Rika, Wren and Rune are only four until you run into Seth.
- Add some more areas on Rykros to explore an loot.

Complete series:
- Have our hereos talk too each other to flesh out their relationships and friendships, give them some scenes besides their quests to show their personality (especially PS I-III, PS IV already does a fairly good job at this).
- Make the main quests less linear and give the players some options on slighty differents paths.
- Add side quests and optional dungeons and areas to explore on your own (again, mostly for PS I-III, IV already does it).

So, now its your turn :) What do you think of my ideas and more importantly, what are your ideas?
Your ideas are great ! I don't have many ideas to add at the moment but I'll try to think ! Ah yes I have one ! To have ALL the episodes to have 3d Dungeons like in the first one ! That was so great...I KNOW that in the second one it was too short about memory and we have all seen the pictures of 3d Dungeons for the 4th opus (and that it was abandonedalas...memory problems again ! :().
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Zio_Falz » Thu Aug 18, '22, 1:58 pm

Apprentice_of_Crys wrote:PSII

Kain's techs dont work on Dezo monsters, but they do massive damage to the 'evil' creatures of Guaron, Menobe, Ikuto, and Naval. Kain also does massive damage on spaceship Noah, as well.

Kain FTW
Zio_Falz
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 58

Postby myau56 » Sat Aug 20, '22, 12:45 pm

Thank you for the precision, dear Zio_Falz ! :clap:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master