It's that music thread!

Get up and move your body to the beat of music discussions.

Re: It's that music thread!

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Feb 17, '13, 3:05 pm

Bragatyr wrote:That actually has me interested about everyone's favorite concert experiences.

That would be Gojira. :mrgreen: They were just that good. They sounded incredible with an awesome setlist (only real complaint about that was they did not play Liquid Fire). Their setlist started with Explosia, and they did a brilliant segue into Flying Whales (which is probably the song they are best known for). They also played L'enfant Sauvage, Planned Obsolescence, Pain is a Master and Oroborus, to name a few. Near the end, I was also getting disappointed in the lack of The Gift of Guilt, but that was their encore/finale, and wow, did I nearly lose my mind on that one. I walked out with a wristband, a t-shirt with the Way of all Flesh cover art, and a button with the L'enfant Sauvage cover art (see my avatar if you don't know it). I've also now ordered a L'enfant Sauvage t-shirt off their webshop, as they only had that cover art, which I LOVE, on hoodies at the show. After that show, I'll gladly give Gojira a little more of my money! And the L'enfant Sauvage album probably now has a permanent place on my phone, and Way of all Flesh and From Mars to Sirius are in regular rotation on and off. The Link and Terra Incognita will come on and off too.

I'll eventually post a picture of myself in my new metal gear, and I'll also probably transform photos of the head sculpture into avatars for websites (including this one).
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sun Feb 17, '13, 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Mar 14, '13, 1:11 am

So the newest Steven Wilson album is out, and I'll be seeing him in April at the Berkley Performance Center in Boston. I've given the album a couple listens now. To me, it's what would happen if you threw ELP, King Crimson and Jethro Tull in a blender, then garnished it with Yes. Here's a youtube video of the opening track.

Personally, I hope he plays Harmony Korine and Index from the previous albums at the show.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Mar 14, '13, 1:26 am

That's awesome that you're going to be seeing Steven Wilson. I love his vocals on ShutDOWN, by OSI, but that's oddly enough the only track I have with him in all my CDs (despite his ubiquity in prog rock recordings!) and I somehow never picked up any Porcupine Tree albums. Speaking of Porcupine Tree, I was hoping King Crimson was going to be recording a new album with Gavin Harrison, too, but alas, it doesn't look like it's going to happen!

Listening to the track, and that's some very Mellotron/early King Crimson sounding stuff at about 8:50.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Mar 19, '13, 12:31 am

Porcupine Tree is great, easily my favorite non-metal band/artist. If you want to get into them, I'd recommend Deadwing (which is one album that is permanently synced to my phone), In Absentia or Fear of a Blank Planet. Wilson has also done some work with the Swedish prog-death metal band Opeth, produced a couple of their albums and done some vocal work with them. Mikael Akerfeldt of Opeth has also worked with PTree, and the two also collaborated on a separate project, Storm Corrosion. Opeth and PTree have also toured together.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Tue Mar 19, '13, 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf Bird

Postby myau56 » Sat Jan 25, '14, 9:55 pm

Wolf Bird wrote: I'll eventually post a picture of myself in my new metal gear, and I'll also probably transform photos of the head sculpture into avatars for websites (including this one).

Ah a new Metal Gear ? We want to see it ! ;) But as you say eventually, I don't know if you still have it ?
Last edited by myau56 on Sat Jan 25, '14, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Jan 26, '14, 6:13 am

myau56 wrote:Ah a new Metal Gear ? We want to see it ! ;) But as you say eventually, I don't know if you still have it ?

These pictures were posted back in February/March 2013. Check the 'Picture of you' thread, they're in there on page 7 and 8 of that thread. And yes, I do still have these, and will in fact probably go to the Amon Amarth show next week in one of my Gojira t-shirts.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sun Jan 26, '14, 6:13 am, edited 4 times in total.

Wolf Bird

Postby myau56 » Sun Jan 26, '14, 11:42 am

Ah yes, now that you mentionned it, I have remembered this photo ! But as it was posted nearly one year ago, it's hard to really remember it ! Sorry ! And more than that, I can see that I have commented on it...:(
All my humble apologies !
And to be forgive... I swear that I'm going to post something this evening : a photo of my Lassic Costume ! Like I have promised some weeks (months ^^) ago !
But only if you swear not to laugh at me ^^ (I'll explain all in details in this new topic).
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Wolf Bird » Sun Jan 26, '14, 3:28 pm

It's okay, no need to worry. It was a while ago, people forget things. It's all good. :)

I think I'll take this opportunity to see if I can kick-start this thread again, especially as we got some new members since this was last active. Ever since this thread was last active, has anyone discovered any good new music, albums, artists, whatever? And to our new members, what kind of music do you like/dislike?

I'll skip question two for myself, as that's already been discussed in this thread. But question one, the answer is yes! Fall last year I discovered Callenish Circle, a now-defunct Dutch melodic death metal band. I found them from watching Angry Joe reviews on youtube, as he uses a clip from their song 'Suffer My Disbelief' at the end of his videos. When I heard that, I had to look up what the song was and after that, I looked up the band and have definitely been enjoying their material. Too bad they broke up, though.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sun Jan 26, '14, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf Bird

Postby Bragatyr » Sun Jan 26, '14, 5:57 pm

I'm looking forward to the Lassic costume, myau!
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby myau56 » Sun Jan 26, '14, 8:31 pm

Okay but I hope that you won't laugh at me ! :lol: I'll explain it in my next topic like I have said before ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

PreviousNext

Return to Tootin' Tunes