Is it warm in here?

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

Is it warm in here?

Is it warm in here?

View Gallery Page

Re: Is it warm in here?

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Sep 4, '10, 9:39 am

Great job. You are progressing along very well. I really like what you've done here with her hair. Keep up the good work. :)

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Lyla2284 » Sat Sep 4, '10, 9:39 am

Well, everything that has been said has been said already, so I can't really find any faults to point out now. But the ears could use work and her left arm ( behind her back ) looks a bit too muscular. The flow of the hair is too unrealistic. You have to remember that long hair falls down in long, flowing strands because it's heavier, while shorter hair tends to flow more easily, unless Rika is caught in a very strong wind here. Her hair movement appears too rigid.
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby Xander » Sat Sep 4, '10, 4:53 pm

I suppose it might have worked out if I'd made it shorter then. :p Seems I need to do some more hair research. Last time I checked Manga Tutorials had a lot of in-depth stuff on drawing hair.

Anyways, thanks Lyla. :D I've decided to come back to this one later, I really didn't feel like redoing it just now so I went ahead and drew a different portrait of her today instead, if anything because I'd rather draw something instead of nothing and kind of want to make up for this mess here.
It's done but I'm looking for some hand references so I can try and draw some sort of gesture in just to liven it up. At least now I think I've got the ears in the right place too. ;)

Anyhoo after this I'm stopping until monday when I plan to go ahead and try my hand at some Alis art, which I'm looking forward to. :p
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby H-Man » Sun Nov 7, '10, 8:55 pm

Not one of your best Rika pix, but sill a good one. I'll probably get a warning for this one, but a quick criticism: the body being narrow, and her cleavage line being where it is, her (admittedly large) * seem to hang a bit low. I know this pic is already a couple of months old, but I felt I could bring it up.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Postby Jack Lias » Sun Nov 7, '10, 9:31 pm

Rika's hair is a lifeform in itself, and has a mind of its own. You did a good job on the arm that's behind her back, but the one that's behind her head looks a little off. I noticed that a part of her collar is white instead of black... was that intentional?

By the way, Xander. If you have a few dollars to spare, you might want to look into getting a tablet. It will allow you to draw like you would normally draw on a piece of paper, but it'll draw it directly into Photoshop. No scanning, no erasure lines. That way, you don't feel that you need to get things perfect the first time. You could re-do that arm a hundred times if you wanted, and it would make no difference on how the final product looks. Of course, I'm not telling you what you should do, it's just a suggestion.

H-Man wrote:Not one of your best Rika pix, but sill a good one. I'll probably get a warning for this one, but a quick criticism: the body being narrow, and her cleavage line being where it is, her (admittedly large) * seem to hang a bit low. I know this pic is already a couple of months old, but I felt I could bring it up.

Rika would be about 22 years old now, so naturally, she'd have dropped a bit over the years.

Also, I fell into the dead topic revival trap again. I never check the date of the first post, but if I see the thread in the "New Posts" page, I post in it.
Last edited by Jack Lias on Sun Nov 7, '10, 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Lias
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 34

Postby Xander » Sun Nov 7, '10, 9:38 pm

You really don't need to keep bringing my olde art topics back H-Man. Or at least my worst ones. The good ones you can. ;)
Last edited by Xander on Sun Nov 7, '10, 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby H-Man » Sun Nov 7, '10, 11:27 pm

I think I ran out of threads that I want to resurrect in the Classic Phantasy Star forum, so I'm moving my necromancy to the art forum.
*H-Man as Chaz, looks at Rika, aka Paula* Chaz-Man- "Hey, I've been wandering around Motavia for quite a while with you now. It says in that weird blue box up there that one more battle with a sandworm and we can level up to husband and wife!"

Image Fringes Official Monocled Gentleman.

Image MADE A NEW FATE Achievement.
H-Man
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 110

Previous

Return to Artwork