Is Anyone Getting A DSI?

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Postby pitohui » Wed Feb 25, '09, 4:57 am

I doubt it, they'd be alienating the ginormous DS userbase, and it wouldn't spur DSi sales enough to be worth it. There may, however, be some kind of DSi-exclusive modes or functions.
pitohui
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 14

Postby LordShibas » Thu Feb 26, '09, 12:21 am

I doubt Square would alienate the DS userbase by making it DSi exclusive. I have not heard anything about this.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 9

Postby hugues » Sun Mar 1, '09, 5:22 pm

I don't see any big advantage over the the DS Lite so I'm not planning to buy one. If the online game store turns out to be great I'd reconsider.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby LordShibas » Tue Mar 3, '09, 6:27 pm

Here's some new info on the DSi for those that are interested. I did a bit of digging and found that the DSi is more of an upgrade than simply a camera and a torn out GBA slot. From the wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSi

Apparently it's going to have a slightly better processor, and 4 times the amount of RAM. It also adds 256MB flash memory, which is not much. The screens are slightly bigger, it's thinner overall, and the battery life has been somewhat shortened due to the new features. I'm still going to wait to see how it works out, but it's nice to know that it's more of an upgrade than I initially thought.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Schala Zeal » Tue Mar 3, '09, 9:19 pm

I just got a DS lite, so I won't be getting this one any time soon. :rofl:
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby LordShibas » Sat Mar 7, '09, 1:24 am

Hah check this out. The US DSi Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igSqjnPxlOc

Good luck watching it. I almost fell asleep halfway through.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Lemina » Sat Mar 21, '09, 1:38 pm

pitohui wrote:
Lemina wrote:That Dragon Warrior DS looks amazing! But I'm still not really interested in the DSI. Not only can it not play GBA games; but it can't play imports either, which really kills it for me.

Are you sure? The Japanese DSI is region-free, are they locking out Japanese games on international units? If you don't mind the extra few bucks, you could always import one.

Ah ha! :idea: I found the article stating that the DSi would be region locked. It might apply to European systems only, which is good for me in the US. Check it out:
DSi Region locked

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Thoul » Mon Mar 23, '09, 11:17 pm

Nintendo has finally confirmed that the online game store for the DSi will offer Game Boy and Game Boy Advance games, similar to the Virtual Console on the Wii. I bet they removed the GBA slot just so they could sell those games again.

I've also read that Nintendo is trying to get companies to develop smaller applications for the online store. It sounds like stuff similar to what's on the iPhone and similar devices. Sega was taking a stab at the mobile markets a few years ago, so maybe we'll see something interesting from them along those lines.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby LordShibas » Tue Mar 24, '09, 1:59 pm

Hah. Yep, I guess that's right Thoul. Remove the slot, then try to sell GBA games to inept people through an online service. I'm sure it will work too. I sometimes question Nintendo's business decisions.
LordShibas
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Thoul » Tue Mar 24, '09, 7:11 pm

It's not that bad of an idea for them, really. I think it's Nintendo's way of trying to cut out the used game market. GBA games are apparently really easy to counterfeit, so the market on places like eBay is flooded with fake copies. Some people won't buy used GBA games because of that. At least with an online service from Nintendo, you know you're getting the real game and it will actually work.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

PreviousNext

Return to Tech and Design