iPhone

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

iPhone

Postby Thoul » Fri Jun 29, '07, 3:19 pm

So, the new iPhone combination cell phone and music player from Apple comes out today. Is anyone planning on getting one?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: iPhone

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Jul 1, '07, 2:26 am

I've seen all the " hype " going on regarding this new iphone but I still don't have any idea of what all it can do. I've heard things like downloading a 3 hour movie, etc. It sounds very ingenious and like a wonderful new " toy " for everyone to enjoy. Right now, I don't think I will plan on getting one. I'd like to hear how it does with everyone else and find out what the major drawbacks and problems with it turns out to be first before deciding on it. Also, price may be a factor and we'll have to see how available or unavailable they are in certain areas. It sounds like there was a problem with AT&T last night with the iphone's debut. That doesn't sound like fun at all. :bang:
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Tsunami » Mon Jul 2, '07, 5:14 am

Technology is a great thing, but at times it's overrated. Are there even phones that are used just as phones anymore?
Really... "Hey, look at what my phone can do! I can throw it and it'll use a tracking device implanted in my skull to come back!" :lol:

Okay, I'm exaggerating, but most of these new features aren't that useful, from what I 've read. I see the new purpose in a phone purely for...other things. The original purpose seems to be null with all these new things they're coming out with. :roll:

If people like nifty little gadgets, then that's cool. Personally, I don't get the hype.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Neithird » Mon Jul 2, '07, 7:39 pm

Tsunami wrote:Technology is a great thing, but at times it's overrated. Are there even phones that are used just as phones anymore?

I doubt it! This reminds of me of that commercial for the one where they say "don't call it a phone." :wink:

I wouldn't mind having an iPhone, but it's not something I'll go out of my way to get. I see from ads that it can play movies, but I doubt I could stand watching on such a small screen. If I were to get a cell phone (I don't even have one at all, :lol:), I'd probably just get a little thing that is used only for a phone.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Tsunami » Tue Jul 3, '07, 3:51 am

Neithird wrote:I doubt it! This reminds of me of that commercial for the one where they say "don't call it a phone." :wink:

Aww, then they're contradicting themselves, and that's always fun to point out! :mrgreen: Besides, if they don't want us to call it a phone, then they should remove the word "phone" from the name. :D
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jul 3, '07, 2:13 pm

Well, somebody must like these things. I saw on the news this morning where the first shipments of (I think it was about 700,000 or so) these Iphone things had SOLD OUT!

I wonder how many of those folks also have the headaches and problems that people are reporting due to not being able to get them up and running because of connection problems, etc. :rofl:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Sep 7, '07, 5:40 pm

Well, now I'm hearing that the price has been slashed on these items, I believe it is, and folks that bought them earlier are really outraged as the price was so expensive then. I think the company is also offering a smaller rebate to some of those folks.

Items usually always come down in price after awhile. That's why we waited a while before getting some of the different game systems, etc. However, this reduction was really fast!
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Fri Sep 7, '07, 8:57 pm

I heard about that. I'm surprised the company is giving any refunds at all. Most companies wouldn't do that sort of thing. That was a good move on Apple's part.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Sep 8, '07, 2:55 am

I suppose it was nice of them to offer the rebate and try to appease some of their customers in some way. If they want more business in the future, it may have been a smart business gesture. Still, that's gotta hurt some finding out that if you had only waited a few months to buy this item the price would drop by hundreds of dollars. :bang:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Sat Sep 8, '07, 5:47 am

Imagine how the people that bought it just the day before felt. :twisted:

Isn't that how it always goes though? You buy something and then a week or two later, you see the same thing on sale somewhere else.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Casual Conversation