Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Intel buys McAfee
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, '10, 7:05 pm 
Intel is buying McAfee:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38768840/ns ... ?Gt1-43001

Sounds interesting. :yaknow:

Post subject: Re: Intel buys McAfee
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, '10, 7:33 pm 
Maybe that will improve McAfee's products. I liked their virus scanner a few years back, but eventually dropped it in favor of a free program when they cut out support for certain operating systems.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, '10, 9:26 pm 
McAfee has been a joke for the last few years...

I'm with Thoul here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, '10, 2:01 pm 
I was about to post a huge McAfee rant, thinking we dealt with a McAfee fiasco a couple of years ago. However, I just remembered it was Norton, not McAfee. :oops: Either way, we've tried McAfee and never could get it to run correctly on our computer. Norton, even with it being completely up-to-date, allowed a virus. I hate both and now prefer using AVG and two spyware programs.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, '10, 2:15 pm 
Try Avast. Free, efficient, powerful.

McAffee = "What's a virus?"
Symantec = "OMG A VIRUS!! HELP!! I'M TO AFRAID TO DELETE IT!"
AVG = No virus shall pass. You have a Quad core? Good. I'll turn it into a Pentium II.

Avast. Really.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, '10, 3:45 pm 
Aeroprism wrote:AVG = No virus shall pass. You have a Quad core? Good. I'll turn it into a Pentium II.
It's not that bad! :P Or maybe I'm just not picky about my process speed. :D

Anyway, you're the second person to recommend Avast, so I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, '10, 4:10 pm 
I tried Avast briefly and actually found it to bog down my PC more than AVG. Of course, that was a couple of AVG versions ago and AVG has gotten a lot slower.

I had pretty good experiences with McAfee back when I used it, but I rarely do anything that carries the risk of getting a virus anyway. Norton was horrible when it came to system resources. It really turned my computer into a tortoise.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, '10, 4:17 pm 
Hopefully the new ownership will turn McAfee into a respectable product again... which will take a miracle since it's reputation has been in the toilet several years now.

Norton re-wrote their entire system code two versions ago and the current product is regarded as being one of the top two subscription-based anti-virus programs currently on the market, TrendMicro being the current best.

Have never used Avast, but AVG: Free Edition works jsut fine on my Core2Duo based PC. It did double the the time it takes my system to fully boot up, but it's a worthwhile sacrifice to have a sheild against viruses and malware.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, '10, 4:27 pm 
Tweeg wrote:but it's a worthwhile sacrifice to have a sheild against viruses and malware.

I found that good internet habits and safe browsing were sufficient to me.

Once every few weeks, I install Avast and Spybot and do my "Paranoia check", then remove them.

I hardly ever get anything worth mentioning.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, '10, 11:46 am 
Since I switched to AVG I've had no harm from malware, it's a fine program methinks, even if it slows down bootup.

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]