Supermoon

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Supermoon

Postby Thoul » Thu Mar 17, '11, 3:55 pm

On March 19, the moon's orbit will bring the orb very close to Earth. They haven't been this close together since 1992, 21 years ago. If you look out that night, you might get to see a super sized moon. You can read more about it here:
http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather- ... 2011-03-10
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Supermoon

Postby xellos667 » Thu Mar 17, '11, 5:46 pm

Yeah, I've read about that. Some crazy people are saying that the Japan earthquake was caused by the coming of the Super Moon (which is totally stupid, and proved totally false). I'll be sure to watch the sky Saturday to see it though...
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Mar 17, '11, 7:11 pm

Yeah, some astrologer was saying this would cause disasters. It's pretty dumb, really (as is all astrology, IMO, when people take it seriously >_>). However, it's still pretty neat from the astronomical standpoint. I recently got a spotting scope mainly for birdwatching, but it could be used for stargazing too. So if the weather is good Saturday night, I might take it out and take a look at the moon through it.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Fri Apr 1, '11, 11:31 pm

Blargh, I forgot to update this topic. If anyone took a look at the moon that night, what did you think of it? I wasn't all that impressed. It didn't seem any larger than usual for this time of year to me.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Apr 2, '11, 12:24 am

I read somewhere, probably Phil Plait's blog, that the 'Supermoon' appeared something like .006% larger than usual. So yeah. Not something people will notice. Pretty sad with all the hoopla that surrounded this.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to Casual Conversation