Indie game music

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Indie game music

Postby Neifirst » Fri Mar 20, '15, 6:20 pm

I compose music for fun and I'm wondering how to find developers that want a composer. How do people get into that sort of thong?
Neifirst
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 20

Re: Indie game music

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Mar 20, '15, 6:59 pm

Hoo boy. Good question. The easiest answer is that you probably have to know someone to help you get a foot in the door, and have any of your compositions together somewhere readily available, like on Soundcloud. With that in mind, you may send me a PM if you like. There's a considerable indie game scene in Cambridge near where I live, and I actually do know a few people who work/used to work and/or consult or contract for things at one of the studios there.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Aeroprism » Fri Mar 20, '15, 7:14 pm

I'm currently writing music for two different indie devs. They actually contacted me. Just make yourself be known on Youtube and the likes and people will come to you.

You can also visit the websites of game devs who made games you enjoyed and write to them directly.

Now, where can we sample your goods? ;-)
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 95

Postby Neifirst » Sat Mar 21, '15, 2:31 am

Aeroprism wrote:I'm currently writing music for two different indie devs. They actually contacted me. Just make yourself be known on Youtube and the likes and people will come to you.

You can also visit the websites of game devs who made games you enjoyed and write to them directly.

Now, where can we sample your goods? ;-)

Heh. Most of it's quartet music. I have really had any chance to compose for a group, so a lot of mine are unfinished. It might be good to finish some to get a portfolio together.

It doesn't necessarily have to be for any big/well-known people. I mean, I'd be fine with just working on a few people's personal project or something.

I can upload one of my quartet pieces :). It's from MuseScore so it does have that crappy MIDI sound.
Neifirst
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Postby Aeroprism » Sat Mar 21, '15, 4:08 am

In my experience, indie game devs will not give a whole lot of importance to musical academic prowess and will instead be wowed by how your work sounds, no matter how simplistic the musical theory is behind what you did. If you want to impress, you might want to try to find a software that will allow you to use your talent/skill and make it sound good. That would be a priority.

I'm still quite interested to hear your work!
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby Neifirst » Wed Mar 25, '15, 7:54 pm

Aeroprism wrote:In my experience, indie game devs will not give a whole lot of importance to musical academic prowess and will instead be wowed by how your work sounds, no matter how simplistic the musical theory is behind what you did. If you want to impress, you might want to try to find a software that will allow you to use your talent/skill and make it sound good. That would be a priority.

I'm still quite interested to hear your work!

Most of my stuff is on paper but I have one I uploaded on the internet. It's mediocre and not the best I've written but lemme find the link.
Neifirst
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Postby Aeroprism » Wed Mar 25, '15, 7:56 pm

Neifirst wrote:It's mediocre and not the best I've written

Also: self-confidence is good marketing :)
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby Neifirst » Wed Mar 25, '15, 11:44 pm

Here's the video link :). It was something I did as a last minute school assignment

I might upload some more of my stuff in the future :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgVm1Z5 ... e=youtu.be

[Youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgVm1Z5 ... e=youtu.be[/Youtube]
Last edited by Neifirst on Wed Mar 25, '15, 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neifirst
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Postby Aeroprism » Thu Mar 26, '15, 1:21 pm

Whoa, this is way more advanced that what I am used to work with. I will certainly not be able to help you with the music theory aspects of this, this is way beyond my talent.

For the sound however, I can say plenty. You are right about the midi sound, it kills the potential, you need to seek a better sound device if you want to impress an indie game maker. If you are going to keep working with this software though, I suggest you look into adjusting your volumes. The Violins eat the Viola and Cello, they completely drown the rest. I also recommend to remove a significant amount of reverb from your violins if you have that sort of control.

Do you have a midi file (.mid) of this? I could put real instruments on that in a matter of 5-6 minutes, give you an idea of what it would sound like.
Aeroprism
Numan
Numan

Postby Neifirst » Fri Mar 27, '15, 1:40 am

Aeroprism wrote:Whoa, this is way more advanced that what I am used to work with. I will certainly not be able to help you with the music theory aspects of this, this is way beyond my talent.

For the sound however, I can say plenty. You are right about the midi sound, it kills the potential, you need to seek a better sound device if you want to impress an indie game maker. If you are going to keep working with this software though, I suggest you look into adjusting your volumes. The Violins eat the Viola and Cello, they completely drown the rest. I also recommend to remove a significant amount of reverb from your violins if you have that sort of control.

Do you have a midi file (.mid) of this? I could put real instruments on that in a matter of 5-6 minutes, give you an idea of what it would sound like.

I do have the file, thanks for the offer :)! What's a good uploa site I should use?
Neifirst
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Next

Return to General Gaming