Most intresting aspect

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Most intresting aspect

Postby Heikabuchi » Sun Dec 2, '07, 5:37 am

What did you find most intresting about Phantasy Star(s)?

PSI: The "mazes". (i.e dungeons)

PSII: Nei. Never before had I played a game where a nova character had actualy died. It gave the game much more depth afterward, as though I owed it to Nei to keep playing to the very end.

PSIII: The fact that the entire "world" was actualy a giant spacecraft. To this very day, it amazes me. I still haven't seen an original idea nearly as unique as that. It just boggles my mind to think about a spacecraft comprised of six bio-spheres that fully support life, completely independant of a planet.

PSIV: Magic. Magic had been hinted at during PSII and PSIII, but until PSIV, it had never been given a name, nor had it been used by a playable character. The entire mystery behind it has always intrigued me. In reality, we use Magic as a word to define an illusion, but in Phantasy Star, an illusion would be called "a trick". Even Technique is on a higher scale that Magic by our standards. The whole mystical power has always intrested me.
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Neithird » Sun Dec 2, '07, 5:14 pm

In PS1, the dungeons. All the different twists and turns... it was really amazing.

In 2, Neifirst. Such a shame that she didn't have a bigger role.

For 3, I don't know... the spaceship idea is intriguing. The sheer size it must be makes it a marvel of engineering.

In 4... the idea of the fallen society recovering the past through archeology and exploration of the remaining buildings from PS2's era.

Magic had been hinted at during PSII and PSIII, but until PSIV, it had never been given a name, nor had it been used by a playable character.

It was called Magic in PS1 when Alis, Myau, and Noah used it. ;)
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby hugues » Sun Dec 2, '07, 7:49 pm

PSI: I have to agree with the 3D dungeons. First time I recall seeing 3D movement that was so smooth.

PSII: Selectable party. It was the first console RPG I played where you any control over your party.

PSIII: Forking the storyline via generations, yeah the 3rd generation was basically the same for all four paths but it was still an incredibly novel idea.

PSIV: Combo attacks.
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Dec 2, '07, 11:56 pm

PS3: The generations. Not only was it fun to choose who you will marry, it would also affect how you progress in the game, both in your journey and the things you can do, like being layan gives you magic, or orakian gives you strength and however all that works.

PS4: Anything magic related, how you can earn them (though not to different from before) and discover how each one will work and then discovering that you can combine them for a devastating attack and its up to you to find out which ones can combine.

Which reminds me, if you don't have anything to guide you but the game itself, how would you figure out that you could create combination attacks besides by chance??
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Tsunami » Mon Dec 3, '07, 5:00 pm

PSI - The dungeons. I've never seen a game as old as that pull off 'scrolling' (for lack of a better word) mazes.

PSII - The setting is what pulled me in. It's futuristic, and seemingly ideal -- and yet, behind the mirage that everything is, in fact, "perfect" under Mother Brain's watchful eye, there lurks a more sinister plot.

PSIII - I think the entire game is an interesting aspect! The generations, the worldship, the MUSIC...! Everything about it is just so cool. :D

PSIV - The anime-ish cutscenes. It helped to show what was going on and even drew you farther into the game, methinks. Though the combination attacks were pretty impressive, too...
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby SparkyIII » Mon Dec 3, '07, 6:34 pm

the MUSIC...!
Omigosh! I completely forgot about that, like when you get more characters it improves the music!
The dungeons
What is hindering my take on that is this other game...Sword of Vermillion...it had the same type of thing, and I was wondering which was made first...

lol loved the anime scenes too! Especialy the beginning with Hahn and Alys.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Postby Heikabuchi » Mon Dec 3, '07, 9:13 pm

Wow... I think its anynomous. The dungeons are the most intresting aspect of PSI. xD

It's great to hear everyones thoughts on the matter.
Heikabuchi
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 42

Postby Thoul » Mon Dec 3, '07, 10:02 pm

PSI: Definitely the dungeons. In one interview, Phoenix Rie mentioned something like that they actually had to slow down the dungeon movement because they made it work too well. :lol:

PSII: I agree with Tsunami; the setting is the best thing here. The super advanced technology (like cloning - that was purely sci-fi back then) was amazing at the time. Having Earthmen as the ultimate villain was a great twist as well.

PSIII: The generations concept. Maybe it wasn't perfected, but it was unlike any other game at the time.

PSIV: So much to choose from here... I have to say the cutscenes, since they added a lot to the story of the game. They made the characters more real than small body sprites like all the games had back then. Combo attacks get an honorable mention, because I think that had never been done before either.

SparkyIII wrote:Which reminds me, if you don't have anything to guide you but the game itself, how would you figure out that you could create combination attacks besides by chance??

You wouldn't. It's never mentioned in the game at all. The manual did mention it, but if you didn't read that you'd just have to stumble across the combos. That's how I discovered them at first, actually. It was really surprising to me when Chaz, Alys, and Hahn pulled off a Triblaster in the cave to Tonoe.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Mon Dec 3, '07, 11:17 pm

It must be really exciting for those wild players to be testing out stuff and come across the 4 person combo that causes destruction. XD Theyd be all just WHAO!!!!

SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Return to Classic Series