Would you buy a 3rd party system remake?

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Would you buy a 3rd party system remake?

Postby Thoul » Thu Nov 1, '07, 1:05 pm

Some game consoles have seen variants or remakes released by groups other than the original company, like Majesco's Genesis 3. If some classic system like the NES, Master System, or Turbo CD was updated and remade today, would you buy it?

Personally, I would not unless there were new games for the console, I didn't have an older version of the console, a version I already own had stopped working, or the new console had some significant benefit the older version didn't.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Thu Nov 1, '07, 7:59 pm

I think I would if my precious old consoles stopped working for whatever reason. That said, I think this is a great opportunity for people to get their hands on a working system to play older games. :)
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Neithird » Thu Nov 1, '07, 8:22 pm

It depends on how well it works. This remake consoles tend to not be able to play all the games or don't work with add-ons (like Sega CD). I would buy one if it plays most games and the consoles I have stopped working, or if the games began to be republished and I missed out the first time around.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Nov 1, '07, 9:14 pm

If it works good and has good reviews or comments about it, then of course I would buy it. If it's shoddy and the reviews of it are not flattering, then no way would I sink more money into another loser.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Rudo » Sat Nov 3, '07, 3:20 am

I would probably buy it just to see how it worked.
Rudo
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 192

Postby Thoul » Wed Nov 14, '07, 9:03 pm

When I was looking at the arcade sticks LordShibas linked to in another topic, I noticed a third party system that had cartridge slots for both Nintendo and Super Nintendo games. What if there was some kind of hybrid like that - a system that could play carts from Nintendo and Sega systems, for example. Would you go for something like that?

I think I would. It would be nice to have one console that could play Master System, Genesis, and Nintendo games.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tsunami » Wed Nov 14, '07, 9:10 pm

It'd be nice to have a system like that. That way, I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of putting away whatever I had out just to set up another system to play a game! (not that it's really that hard, but what can I say? I'm lazy :D)
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby SparkyIII » Wed Nov 14, '07, 11:41 pm

I don't know, have you ever noticed that older things seem to last longer than newer ones.
Examples:We gone through nearly 3 PS2s and 5 PS1s, but only 1 TurboGrafx16, or 2 Genesis's.
or my older brother has gone through 2 cell phones at least right now, and we still have one of those old spin dial phones that would work if it was plugged in.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Wed Nov 14, '07, 11:59 pm

That's a good point. They don't make things like they used to. The quality of the components in the system is definitely something to consider.

Tsunami wrote:It'd be nice to have a system like that. That way, I wouldn't have to go through the trouble of putting away whatever I had out just to set up another system to play a game! (not that it's really that hard, but what can I say? I'm lazy :D)

Yeah, wouldn't that be great? No more tangled cords or wondering which plug goes to what. Just one system for everything. That's what I'd like to have.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby hugues » Thu Nov 15, '07, 2:43 am

If there was a system like the CDX I'd buy it. Even better, a CDX with 32X support. I won't get my hopes up though. Why would Sega (or Nintendo) want you to keep buying old used games when they can sell a virtual version for $5-$10?

Thoul wrote:When I was looking at the arcade sticks LordShibas linked to in another topic, I noticed a third party system that had cartridge slots for both Nintendo and Super Nintendo games. What if there was some kind of hybrid like that - a system that could play carts from Nintendo and Sega systems, for example. Would you go for something like that?

I think I would. It would be nice to have one console that could play Master System, Genesis, and Nintendo games.

A CD system like that would be awesome - Sega CD, TG-16 CD, and 3DO just used standard CD formats (don't forget how pricey CDR drives and discs were back then) so one drive could play them all. That would basically be my dream system.

The NES remakes out there are either too pricey (i.e the Messiah system) or one of aforementioned crappy combo systems flooding ebay and mall kiosks. None of those are licensed by Nintendo of course, I'm actually a little surprised we haven't seen Genesis variants of these.

Don't know if this counts, but I did buy one of those portable Master System remakes. I really want to write a review for my web site but it's a bit low on my to do list. In lieu of that here's a quickie review: http://www.retrothing.com/2006/12/review_sega_cla.html
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Next

Return to Tech and Design