Importance of Tragedy

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

Importance of Tragedy

Postby Thoul » Tue Nov 20, '07, 5:41 pm

Many of the most compelling stories in video games (and other media) begin with an element of tragedy to stir the hero up to action. In many games it is the destruction of or an attack on the hero's home town. Secret of Mana, Tales of Phantasia and Symphonia, Dark Cloud, and Breath of Fire as just a few that use this. Even Phantasy Star does it. Other games use missing or captured people - Super Mario and Chrono Trigger for instance.

Just how important is tragedy to a hero's story? Can you think of any games that don't use some kind of tragedy as a major plot device to get the hero into action?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Tue Nov 20, '07, 6:16 pm

Hmmm. I was about to say Kirby's Adventure, though I suppose that the Star Rod being shattered into many pieces and nightmares spreading is tragic in its own way. :p

One game I can think of, however, is Tetris. Okay, it doesn't have any story behind it, but there's nothing tragic about blocks falling! :D
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Nov 20, '07, 6:26 pm

What if the blocks were supposed to be tears, falling from the sky and shattering into a million pieces when you line them up. XDDD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Wed Nov 21, '07, 4:12 am

I hadn't thought of things like Tetris. :lol: I guess I should have limited my question to RPGs and adventure games.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Tech and Design