Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Importance of Tragedy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, '07, 5:41 pm 
Many of the most compelling stories in video games (and other media) begin with an element of tragedy to stir the hero up to action. In many games it is the destruction of or an attack on the hero's home town. Secret of Mana, Tales of Phantasia and Symphonia, Dark Cloud, and Breath of Fire as just a few that use this. Even Phantasy Star does it. Other games use missing or captured people - Super Mario and Chrono Trigger for instance.

Just how important is tragedy to a hero's story? Can you think of any games that don't use some kind of tragedy as a major plot device to get the hero into action?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, '07, 6:16 pm 
Hmmm. I was about to say Kirby's Adventure, though I suppose that the Star Rod being shattered into many pieces and nightmares spreading is tragic in its own way. :p

One game I can think of, however, is Tetris. Okay, it doesn't have any story behind it, but there's nothing tragic about blocks falling! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, '07, 6:26 pm 
What if the blocks were supposed to be tears, falling from the sky and shattering into a million pieces when you line them up. XDDD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, '07, 4:12 am 
I hadn't thought of things like Tetris. :lol: I guess I should have limited my question to RPGs and adventure games.

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]