Irrational Games is shutting down

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Irrational Games is shutting down

Postby S4Blade » Thu Feb 20, '14, 1:04 pm

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... ting-down/

Kevin Levine's development studio is shutting down. They were most known for making the Bioshock series, which was very well received. It sounds like it's more of a restructuring to me.

He was quoted as saying “While I’m deeply proud of what we’ve accomplished together, my passion has turned to making a different kind of game than we’ve done before,” Levine writes. “To meet the challenge ahead, I need to refocus my energy on a smaller team with a flatter structure and a more direct relationship with gamers. In many ways, it will be a return to how we started: a small team making games for the core gaming audience.”

I'm sure this remaining, small group of extremely talented people will get involved in something new in the future. I look forward to seeing the future games that came from this studio.

I'm not a huge fan of gamespot, but they had a very nice video on the closing of Irrational games. It highlighted the great games that they brought to the industry. Check it out: http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-poin ... 0-6417315/
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Re: Irrational Games is shutting down

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Feb 20, '14, 1:13 pm

Since they're Boston-based, this has actually been pretty big in all the local news outlets (Boston.com, Boston Globe). Odd to see them shut down after such a success, especially since Bioshock Infinite was one of the biggest games of last year. I guess we'll see what happens. The people that formed this company are definitely talented, so I certainly hope that doesn't go to waste. Sounds like it won't.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Thu Feb 20, '14, 9:58 pm

Oh no ! :( Even if it's more like a restructuring than a shut down, it's always sad to hear that sort of news...
I'm a BIG FAN of Bioshock 1 and 2 and that is so sad BUT if they are going to "refocus my energy on a smaller team", it's great news : let's hear about them in the future !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby S4Blade » Fri Feb 21, '14, 11:36 am

I think a lot of people are kind of bummed about this news, I know I am. The Bioshock Vita game is also hanging in the balance, and 2K games has made no comment on the status of the game: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/45 ... hock-vita/

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby myau56 » Fri Feb 21, '14, 12:37 pm

VistaBlade wrote:I think a lot of people are kind of bummed about this news, I know I am. The Bioshock Vita game is also hanging in the balance, and 2K games has made no comment on the status of the game: http://www.computerandvideogames.com/45 ... hock-vita/

I didn't know that Bioshock was scheduled to be released on Vita ! That would be a great loss not to have it :( Hope it will :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby S4Blade » Fri Feb 21, '14, 1:17 pm

It was announced at E3 way back in 2011. They have not said much about it since then though: http://www.nohighscores.com/2011/10/18/ ... -a-remake/

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Postby myau56 » Fri Feb 21, '14, 8:53 pm

Back in 2011 !! So I'm VERY late ! :( But in fact, I'm not really into Vita actuality ! But that will really be a bad thing not to have this game on Vita ! :(
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Return to In the News