If someone other than Sega were to make a Phantasy Star game

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

If someone other then Sega were to develop a Phantasy Star game, who do you think would do the best job?

Atlus
25%
Bioware
25%
Level 5
25%
Monolith Soft
No votes
Tri-Ace
No votes
Other
25%

Total votes : 4

If someone other than Sega were to make a Phantasy Star game

Postby Shinuzzo » Sun Feb 24, '08, 3:04 am

Here's a listing of some of the games these companies have devloped if you're not familar with their work.

Atlus: Shin Megami Tensei/ Persona Series, Etrian Odyssey

Bioware: Baldur's Gate Series, Neverwinter Nights, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, Jade Empire, Mass Effect

Level 5: Dark Cloud series, Dragon Quest VIII, Jeanne D'Arc, Rogue Galaxy

Monolith Soft: Chrono Trigger*, Chrono Cross*, Xenogears*, Xenosaga series, Baten Kaitos series.
* These were made by former employees while working with Square.

Tri-Ace: Star Ocean series, Valkyrie Profile series, Radiata Stories
Shinuzzo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 25

Postby Celeith » Sun Feb 24, '08, 3:46 am

you didn't add Namco, creators of the almighty Tales of series.. PSIV with Tales of Destiny or Tales of the Abyss battle system FTW!!! Go Rika GO!! :happy_marle:
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Shinuzzo » Sun Feb 24, '08, 5:04 am

Well, Namco doesn't do development work for other companies. They did work on the Triforce board with Nintendo and Sega though so I guess it wouldn't be too much of a reach. I mainly put Atlus in the poll mainly because Etrian Odyssey is somewhat similar to the original Phantasy Star.
Shinuzzo
Guardian
Guardian

Postby SparkyIII » Sun Feb 24, '08, 5:39 am

Lol, I've only heard of the baldurs gate series. So my vote wouldn't do much XD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Sun Feb 24, '08, 9:47 pm

I think all of those companies could do a great job with the series. But overall I think Level 5 would be able to capture the fantasy and sci-fi mix best. Monolith Soft and Tri-Ace could certainly do great things with that, but I think Level 5's take on it would just be more enjoyable. Plus, since Level 5 is developing for Nintendo now, they could continue to strengthen Sega's relationship with the old rival.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Chris8282 » Sun Feb 24, '08, 11:31 pm

I would say BioWare since they make some of the best RPGs ever, but this is a JRPG and should stay with the Js, so out of those I think Atlus fits the best.
Chris8282
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 6

Postby Dorrinal » Tue Feb 26, '08, 6:42 pm

I liked the Shadow Hearts series, I'd get that team together.
Dorrinal
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 11

Postby Shinuzzo » Wed Feb 27, '08, 1:03 am

I guess that's a vote for feelplus since Aruze disbanded Nautilus. It sucks that it's likely there'll be no more Shadow Hearts games.
Shinuzzo
Guardian
Guardian

Postby Dorrinal » Wed Feb 27, '08, 5:09 pm

No I think they pretty much wore out the formula with the latest one. I wouldn't mind seeing the Ring of Judgement battle system applied to a different kind of story, though. It made battles more interactive and for a JRPG, that's a Good Thing(tm).
Dorrinal
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 11

Postby Celeith » Mon Mar 3, '08, 2:24 am

i think Tri-Ace would be good for remaking one of the phantasy stars. the games they make have unique battle systems, such as with valkyrie profiles button mash attacks for battle and star ocean's free run for battles.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Next

Return to Classic Series