Ideas for a PSII Hack

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Postby The $ Avenger » Thu Sep 27, '07, 12:57 am

My error wasn't as bad as I thought in regard to character level-ups, so I managed to fix it all last night. Back to the monsters. I've got them subdivided into 20 groups to simulate on all 8 characters, twice since there will be two versions. I'm doing a "normal" difficulty mode first, then the "hell" :fiery: version. I suppose I could release the normal version first if people can't wait. It'd be easier for me to release them both concurrently as that conforms to the method I listed on another page, but I'll release the normal mode first if that's what you all want. Let me know. :bouncy:
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby The $ Avenger » Fri Sep 28, '07, 2:46 am

I spent several hours last night and only got the first 13 monsters done of the normal difficulty mode. I forgot how long this takes! :yell:

114 to go... these first thirteen were the only ones that you'd fight with less than a 4 character party in PSII, so from here on out I'll try and make the monsters the same difficulty as the original, as best I can.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Tsunami » Fri Sep 28, '07, 4:58 am

I'll definitely try the normal mode hack. From what I've read so far, it's very intriguing! Also looking forward to how it'll be with Nei in the party later on.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby The $ Avenger » Fri Sep 28, '07, 11:34 pm

Tsunami wrote:I'll definitely try the normal mode hack. From what I've read so far, it's very intriguing! Also looking forward to how it'll be with Nei in the party later on.
Glad to hear it. The normal mode might be a tad easier than the original was, simply because of equipment.

I did... 5 more monsters yesterday. 109 to go for normal... :yikes: If I remember correctly it took me a month to do the PSIV monsters; hopefully I'll be done before then! :sigh:

I also did a little work with the script, which has room for more changes than I thought. It's nasty work trying to use the same number of characters that Sega used on a line, but I've been able to alter a few things, mostly at the end. I think you all will like them, since some of the ideas I put in there are things we've discussed in the Classic forum. Thoul, I'm putting in your idea about the Skure gas leak, for one! :stir:

I decided upon the Tech names too, most of which are from Shinnuzo's suggestions: Doran = Daze, Shinb = Flee, Shiza = Mute, Rimit = Paral, Conte = Quiet, Forsa = Short, Eijia = Crode.

I tried to name them as close to what they actually do as possible, since PSII doesn't give you any clue as to what insanity even does. For Eijia, I wanted to name it Corrosion, like the PSIV Skill, but the five letter limit stifled me :bang: . Is it unclear? I'm open to suggestions!

I left the damage Techs alone, since those are used much more than the Status Techs, and at least I know what all the damage Techs are.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Thoul » Sat Sep 29, '07, 12:20 pm

Crode sounds good to me. It's maybe not the most clear, but I can't think of a better version for less than five letter. Well, maybe "Rust," but that might not be quite accurate for a name.

I look forward to seeing the script changes! More story is always a good thing. :D
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Sun Sep 30, '07, 12:53 am

Thoul wrote:Well, maybe "Rust," but that might not be quite accurate for a name.
Yeah it's not quite the action involved, but it certainly is clearer than Crode. I'll have to ponder that one for a bit.

I look forward to seeing the script changes! More story is always a good thing. :D
Changing the text was something I found unbearable to attempt in PSI but to having to fit my text into the amount of space they allowed for lines, but I really want to give it a shot this time. In going over the PSII script, there's all sorts of text that could be changed to enhance the story, like all of the Motavians useless lines about loving garbage. I'm thinking of changing their lines to anti-MB sentiment. I think it would go quite well with the Motavians, since they're the only ones that defy MB's moratorium on ocean travel by building and using a jet scooter.

Since this is my last hack of the PS series, I want to go out with a bang. Doing so will push back the initial release date, but I think it'll be a better final product. I poured all my time last night into redoing the monsters, and managed to get 16 done, as I've streamlined the process a bit. I won't get that much done every day, and I can't say how long it'll take me to change the monster sprites, but I'd guess I'll have the gameplay changes down in 2 weeks, plus on minus a couple of days.

The script will likely take a bit longer, since I'll have to truncate and edit my new lines into the space given. From going over the script with a pen, just looking at areas that could be improved, I think 50% of it could be enhanced. I never liked how Rolf is told to go to Biosystems, and then spends 10% of the game trying to figure out a way past Darum, who blows himself up in the end. I know they wanted to show tragedy, but I think they could have made it an essential party of Rolf's quest, rather than a sidelight.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Shinuzzo » Sun Sep 30, '07, 11:38 am

The $ Avenger wrote: I never liked how Rolf is told to go to Biosystems, and then spends 10% of the game trying to figure out a way past Darum, who blows himself up in the end. I know they wanted to show tragedy, but I think they could have made it an essential party of Rolf's quest, rather than a sidelight.

Yeah, given Rolf's an agent, you think he would be ordered to do deal with Darum. Otherwise, why couldn't he just teleport straight to Oputa?
Shinuzzo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 25

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Oct 1, '07, 12:59 am

Shinuzzo wrote:Yeah, given Rolf's an agent, you think he would be ordered to do deal with Darum. Otherwise, why couldn't he just teleport straight to Oputa?
Ha! That's a good one. I hadn't thought about that. Surely Rolf had left Paseo once in the last 2 years!

Ok, I got another 9 monsters done. That's just over a third of them. I also found a new hex editor that should greatly speed up the process of changing sprites.

Nothing else to report; I'm ready for the Climatrol enemies.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Tsunami » Mon Oct 1, '07, 2:09 am

Perhaps Rolf was only assigned to things in the general area. :? I could see that being the case.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Shinuzzo » Mon Oct 1, '07, 5:20 am

Tsunami wrote:Perhaps Rolf was only assigned to things in the general area. :? I could see that being the case.

Well, you think someone would have been sent to deal with it.
Shinuzzo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 25

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More