Ideas for a PSII Hack

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Postby The $ Avenger » Fri Sep 21, '07, 2:03 am

In trying to save some time, I'm looking for a monster ability faq. Does anyone know of one out there? Dalez's at gamefaqs has an incomplete one, but that's the best I can find.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Thoul » Fri Sep 21, '07, 3:17 am

I can't say that I've ever seen one. Monster abilities are one aspect of the whole series that has not been documented very extensively.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Fri Sep 21, '07, 11:30 am

The Komrade wrote:BTW, does anybody know who Trogdor is? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Trogdor.png

Doesn't PSII King Lava have a arm coming out his back too?
http://www.rpgclassics.com/shrines/gene ... nglava.jpg

:lol: I think so. Such is the fun of hacking the monster database!

I haven't watched Strongbad in a loooong time...funny stuff. :D

But yeah, I think the experience idea is good. ^_^ It'll be an improvement, in my opinion. Hope it goes smoothly.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby The $ Avenger » Sat Sep 22, '07, 2:25 am

Tsunami wrote:I haven't watched Strongbad in a loooong time...funny stuff. :D
Someone knows! Hooray!

Thoul wrote:I can't say that I've ever seen one. Monster abilities are one aspect of the whole series that has not been documented very extensively.
I cut and pasted one together one my own, so it's very messy right now. At the end of the list, the ones preceded by * are ones that I'm sure of, the ? are ones I think are probable, but can't remember. Everyone, have a look at it: http://www.geocities.com/komradevladmir ... ecials.doc

Did I miss any? Any corrections are welcomed!

BTW, I'll post the list of all the monsters in the original PSII that are weak to both Hugh's Techs and Kain's Techs; it's not just a Noah thing, it's wherever they appear!

I finished tweaking the character stats yesterday, now I going to run some tests of the tweaked characters to the original monsters, to see if the difficult is balanced already, or not, (I doubt it; all my changes thus far make the original game easier.) I'll determine off these tests how to redo the monster database.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby The $ Avenger » Sun Sep 23, '07, 2:46 am

Ok, big update!

I think I have a title that fits the hack: "Phantasy Star 2: Numan Revolution". It's subject to change, but it's the best one that has occurred to me.

Twilkitri at RpgDL is right, the Shus, Ners, and Shift Techs are all stackable! The Ners have the biggest influence. I tried to using Sashu with all of Amy's TP against DF, and each use dropped the damaged DF did by about 3. Not much, but it's something you all might not have known. Cast Deban first though!

Forget about the Monster Special Attack list; I figured them all out yesterday.

Enemy Special Attacks have an inherent value that has no reflection on the monster's other stats. Probably only useful to me, but there it is! :wink:

I created a glorious document that for the first time in history puts all the monster stats in PSII, including their agility, sorted by locations. (I made this to make simulating battles easier.) Here it is: http://www.geocities.com/komradevladmir ... n_List.doc

Lastly, bad news. I realized that simulating the battles is going to take a lot longer than I thought because I have to do it with 8 characters, for every area. That's worse than PSIV, as it's 3 more characters in every area of the game. I'm not sure how much more time this will add to my simulations; I was hoping to have the first edition out next weekend, but I'm not so sure now. :x I'll keep you all posted...
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Sep 24, '07, 1:40 am

In a case of massive context dropping, I don't know why I thought changing the monster body types would enable me to create new builds for monsters. Rearranging the monsters doesn't work at all; every monster I tried to create doesn't look like anything but a mass of junk, (to call them Frankensteins would be too nice.) None of the sprite edges match up in any desireable way... so that means option #2.

I'll change the colors of all of them, redo their stats, and (if you noticed in my Monster Location Document) I have between 4 and 7 new monster slots I can make into whatever I want. The range is because 3 of them totally crash the game right now, but I think I can repair them. :) I'm going to make these new monsters, (other than Van Leader, thanks Col.) into different, nasty fourth-tier monsters, and spread them over the middle to late parts of the game. Thoul, I think we need some worse Caped Ones/Wizards/Fiends, don't you? I'm thinking a Xe-a-Thoul would make an unpleasant surprise!

Today and tomorrow, I'm going to put off redoing the monsters, and finish my last spreadsheet, of the total monster database. I'm about 65% there. It'll probably take today and tomorrow. And time marches on.... :p
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Thoul » Mon Sep 24, '07, 2:49 am

Sounds like a good plan to me. A Xe-a-Thoul or two to represent Lashiec would have been a nice thing to include in the original.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Sep 24, '07, 4:39 am

Unbelievably, Hugh and Kain's Techs work on all the enemies specific to the Aeroprism dungeons and Noah. It sure would have been nice to know that for all of my previous playthroughs! I just Nagaj'd a Mystcape!

Here's the full list of enemies that both Hugh and Kain's Techs work on:

WRESTLER
SAKOFF
MESOMAN
LUNG
GLOSWORD
DESRONA
DARKSIDE
MR DEATH
SHADOW
MYSTCAPE
ILLUSNST
IMAGIOMG
ARCHDRGN
FRDRAGON
MXDRAGON
FIREFALL
VORCANO
KINGLAVA
WIZARD
CAPEONE
FIEND

You have no excuse to go Brose an Arch Dragon!
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby The $ Avenger » Tue Sep 25, '07, 2:00 am

Ok, I finished documenting the monster database; it's all about redoing the monsters for the next step.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby The $ Avenger » Wed Sep 26, '07, 12:56 am

I made a miscalculation in the character level-up stats that's going to set me back a day or two as I redo it. I spent my time yesterday trying to rectify it, but it involved every single statistic I changed, so it will take a bit to fix it all.

In one patch, I'm not going to increase the difficulty in comparison to PSII, but the monsters still will be harder from the beginning to the completion of Nido, since you start with a full party instead of only having Rudo through there.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

PreviousNext

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More