Ice cream truck

Warning: Talking about food might make you hungry. ;)

Ice cream truck

Postby hugues » Mon Jun 23, '08, 11:06 pm

Been hearing the ice truck driving through the neighborhood a lot the last 2-3 weeks. It reminds me of being a kid and racing to catch it before it moved on to the next street. Back then my favorite were the WWF ice cream bars - vanilla ice cream with a cookie on the front and chocolate coating on the back. The cookie had a picture of Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage, Roddy Piper, or whoever else was popular in the 80s.

What's everyone else's favorite ice cream truck treat from summers past?
hugues
Android
Android

Achievements: 32

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jun 24, '08, 1:58 am

Those memories of hearing the ice cream truck are some truly good memories hugues. I remember them well, too. I think my favorite ice cream was one that was half vanilla and half orange sherbert. I think it pushed up on a stick as you ate, or something like that. I also loved the ice cream cones with chocolate and peanut toppings, yum!

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Tue Jun 24, '08, 1:59 am

I always used to get a snow cone, usually cherry flavored. We don't get an ice cream truck around here much now, but every so often I hear that familiar old tune coming down the road. :)
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Snorb » Tue Jun 24, '08, 2:31 am

Silver: Why, I do believe you're reminiscing about Creamsicles. ^_^

I have fond memories of getting lemon Italian ices from the Weazer trucks that drive around the neighborhood every summer, and Strawberry Shortcake bars whenever the Good Humor truck came around. (Strawberry ice cream, coated in vanilla ice cream, coated in almonds. The two sister flavors, Chocolate Eclair and Toasted Almond, substitute chocolate and more vanilla for the strawberry.)

Since we're talking about ice cream trucks, I might as well share my favorite ice cream truck memory: Back in 1996 or so, my sister and I would routinely head over to our grandmother's house (she lived on the next street over from us, about twenty minutes' walk these days) and we'd... basically do what grandchildren do: Draw, play Sega Genesis (no Phantasy Star III, though- my cousin took it with him when he joined the Navy), and eat ice cream.

One fine visit, my uncle Tony (famous in our family for his Thanksgiving "Can I have a riiiiiide?" phone call) was over as well. We heard the ice cream truck doing its rounds, so my sister and I dutifully get our quarters and run out to meet the truck. Doesn't even stop, despite our shouts and waving. The two of us just stand there, pitifully watching the truck turn down the street in front of our grandma's house, jingle still jingling. Sadly, we explain to Roz (our grandmother. Will explain nickname upon request) and Uncle Tony what happened. Uncle Tony just marches right outside, and we hear this (verbatim):

Uncle Tony: (from outside) YO~!
(brakes squealing in protest)
(ice cream truck jingle playing in reverse as truck backs up)
Uncle Tony: (comes back in) All right, Chris, (Chris's Sister), go get some ice cream!
Me and (Chris's Sister): Yayay! ^_^

And we had our ice cream, and it was good. :)

Anyone else have a fun ice cream truck story to share as well?
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby SparkyIII » Tue Jun 24, '08, 11:42 pm

We get our ice cream from the store never gone out to get some.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby hugues » Thu Jun 26, '08, 4:28 am

Snorb wrote:Anyone else have a fun ice cream truck story to share as well?

Does encountering a driver who was clearly high count as "fun"?
hugues
Android
Android

Postby Snorb » Thu Jun 26, '08, 6:52 am

hugues wrote:Does encountering a driver who was clearly high count as "fun"?

Could be? :?
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Jun 26, '08, 4:47 pm

Snorb, you're probably right about the "creamsicles". Sounds familiar. I like those strawberry shortcake ice creams too, yum!

Also, I enjoyed your memory about your Uncle Tony stopping the ice cream truck! :clap: :clap: :clap: It was always a bummer to miss that truck and not get an ice cream treat.

Okay, I wanna know about your grandmother's nickname " Roz " ! Sounds intriguing. :)

And, hugues, can you share with us more details about the " high " ice cream truck driver? How " high " were they??? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby hugues » Fri Jun 27, '08, 10:24 pm

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:And, hugues, can you share with us more details about the " high " ice cream truck driver? How " high " were they??? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

On a scale of 1 to 10 - he was a good solid 7. I was in high school at the time, when I was younger I probably wouldn't have known the difference. I had a few friends hanging out at my house one summer day. We heard the ice cream truck and ran out to catch it. When we got there it was obvious the driver was having a good time that day. He also had an Australian accent which made the whole experience that much weirder.
hugues
Android
Android

Return to Delectable Delicacies