What was the best Dreamcast game?

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

What was the best Dreamcast game?

Postby Thoul » Thu Nov 20, '08, 10:42 pm

Sega's last system had a lot of different games. Most of them were first party, but some third party greats were out there, too. It even saw the rival of Phantasy Star as a new series. What do you think the Dreamcast's best title overall was?

My pick is Skies of Arcadia, with Grandia II being a close second. Skies is just a great, classic RPG. Excellent story, fun characters, an an amazingly deep world. The whole exploration aspect is great, too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Celeith » Thu Nov 20, '08, 10:46 pm

I never really played the dreamcast so I'm not sure, but I do own Grandia II for the PS2 and Skies of Arcadia on the Gamecube so I know both of them are great games.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Lemina » Thu Nov 20, '08, 11:36 pm

Kaloes wrote:I never really played the dreamcast so I'm not sure, but I do own Grandia II for the PS2 and Skies of Arcadia on the Gamecube so I know both of them are great games.

This is pretty much what I was going to say. I've also heard that Soul Caliber I was an excellent game--supposedly it was worth the whole Dreamcast to some people!

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Re: What was the best Dreamcast game?

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Sun Jun 21, '09, 7:04 am

I didn't buy too many games for the dreamcast but the ones I know I got was Soul Reaver - Excellent, Record of Lodoss War - Very fun, and Phantasy Star Online - Dissappointing in my opinion but still the best new Phantasy Star game so far.
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 11

Postby Darkil » Sun Jun 21, '09, 9:12 pm

Well I got a Dreamcast just for Soul Calibur and it was worth every red cent [still have my DC from 09-09-99!]. Of course PSO, Record of Lodoss War, Grandia 2 and Skies of Arcadia are right up at the top. Street Fighter 3 & Capcom vs SNK are tied with Soul Calibur on my list of great DC games. Some honorable mentions are Resident Evil 2, 3, Code Veronica, Time Stalkers, Blue Stinger, & Mortal Kombat Gold. I have a few others and they're great also, but I can't remember them off the top of my head.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Mon Jun 22, '09, 12:57 pm

Darkil wrote:Time Stalkers

Oh man, I always wanted to play that game but I could never find it. How was it?
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Darkil » Tue Jun 23, '09, 6:31 pm

It was a load of fun! It was one of the oddest stories ever, in fact I don't if there was a real story, but one thing that made it challenging would be the random dungeons and starting over at level 1 each time you went into a dungeon.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Tweeg » Thu Jun 25, '09, 4:37 am

Well, I love PSO, however, once you take away the online play aspect of it a there isn't as much left to do. One play through Normal Mode and there's not much left to motivate you to go on. So that in mind, my nomination goes for:

Shenmue
The game is an absolute masterpiece. If you haven't played it then you've really missed out.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby XxEnslavedNekoxX » Fri Jun 26, '09, 6:57 am

Darkil wrote:It was a load of fun! It was one of the oddest stories ever, in fact I don't if there was a real story, but one thing that made it challenging would be the random dungeons and starting over at level 1 each time you went into a dungeon.

That's kinda lame about the dungeon part. But I suppose it could also be a good thing. You get to fight more monsters and level up quicker right?
XxEnslavedNekoxX
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby GhostVoices » Fri Jun 26, '09, 5:33 pm

My picks would have to be Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II, and I also always wanted to play that Record Of Lodoss War game...but it's rather hard to come by :(
http://astralvoidrecords.blogspot.com For the best in Music,Games,Movies, Books, and more!
GhostVoices
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 8

Next

Return to Retro Roundup