VX Ace

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

VX Ace

Postby Valar187 » Mon Aug 6, '12, 2:12 am

Hello everyone! I'm new to the community and I'm a long time fan of the PS franchise. I'm also an aspiring Game Designer (about 6 months away from graduating with a degree in Game Design from Full Sail University) and I've been looking to do side projects to beef up my portfolio and to just have fun messing with my own ideas.

Does anyone here dabble in VX Ace? I recently purchased it and I've done a few things but art isn't really my forte and I only really know a little bit of java and uscript (Unreal Dev Kit) so I've been looking for ways to do things. I think it would be a blast to mess with a PS style game.

From what I can tell, there seem to be far more resources for RMVX and RMXP so I'm unsure if I should roll back until there are some more resources for VX Ace (which supposedly is able to use anything from VX).
Valar187
Newcomer
Newcomer

Achievements: 9

Re: VX Ace

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Aug 6, '12, 8:37 am

Hello Valar187 and welcome to The Fringes Of Algo! :wave: We are happy you decided to join us here.

I am a bit unfamiliar with the subject you mentioned, however, some of our other members here may be more knowledgeable about it and be very happy to discuss it with you.

Congratulations on the upcoming graduation and good luck on the Game Designer career! :)
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Mon Aug 6, '12, 7:48 pm

Welcome to the community, Valar187! I can honestly say I'd not heard of VX Ace prior to this thread. That tells you something about how much I follow or use RPG Maker, I think. :lol:

If there are a lot of resources for VX available and they actually do work in VX Ace, I would probably stick with VX Ace. Being the latest version, it probably has more features and some bug fixes that the older versions lack.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Thu Aug 16, '12, 5:35 am

Well, this is the first time I've actually heard of VX Ace. I just did a quick google on it, and honestly, I'm not sure what to think. I personally prefer RPG Maker XP over VX, mainly because of the auto-shadow/square feel of VX. But that's just me, you must also keep in mind, that all three RPG Makers use Ruby, which is a coding language similar to Java.

Don't let the squareness of VX/Ace scare you off though, I've seen some impressive maps and have even tried my own hand at it, I just personally prefer XP, or even RPG Maker 2K/3. I'll have to try out Ace sometime though and get back to you.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Atlinsmere » Sat Aug 18, '12, 8:15 am

Well, I just checked out the trial for VX Ace, I'll say this, it is a huge improvement over VX. It's not as blocky as VX was, though it still has chibi styled characters. The customization is a huge improvement and the in program character maker was a good idea too. The events are pretty straight forward and organized.

The default battle system is what I expected it to be, though I'm sure there are plenty of VXAce scripts for that. If it can use any resource from VX, than I say use VXAce, I'm sure you could change the sprite of your characters to that of a PS styled game.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More