I, now, pronounce you man and... video game.

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

I, now, pronounce you man and... video game.

Postby Abominae » Thu Nov 26, '09, 5:16 pm

Yup, I'm sure most of you have heard about this now, but: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10404956-71.html

Now, the argument I have is that the guy looks pathetic enough to actually do something like this, but I can't help thinking that the publishing company shelled out huge bucks to the nerd to get him to marry the video game character in a big publicity stunt.

What do you think? Is this further proof that mankind is doomed? Or do real life women need to step up their game?
Abominae
Hunter
Hunter

Achievements: 27

Re: I, now, pronounce you man and... video game.

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Nov 26, '09, 6:03 pm

I heard about this a couple days ago. I think it's kind of pathetic. There's a chance the company may have paid him for the publicity, but as the article says nothing about that, for now, I will assume that is not the case. I don't think real life women need to step up their game at all, seeing as how most guys I know still go for real-life women, gamers or not, seeing as how real-life women just have and can provide certain things fantasy women can't and never will. :yaknow:
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Tweeg » Thu Nov 26, '09, 7:49 pm

Abominae wrote:What do you think? Is this further proof that mankind is doomed? Or do real life women need to step up their game?

I'm in my late 20's, single, have some college education, have been steadily employed for over three years now, but have never had a girlfriend in my entire life! Real women need to step up their game... whatever game that may be. :?
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Postby Lucas » Fri Nov 27, '09, 10:33 am

Okay , :roll: some people can be very strange. Never imagined any real human being would actually give all their love to an animated character.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Thoul » Fri Nov 27, '09, 8:46 pm

That's more than a bit strange. If it's not a publicity stunt, I feel sorry for the guy. Choosing to live in a fantasy like that indicates a very serious problem. Maybe more than one. Imagine if he does find a real girlfriend or wife prospect in the future. "Hey, about my ex..."

On the other hand, I wonder if this entitles him to part of all future profits generated by the character? :lol:
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tweeg » Sat Nov 28, '09, 4:19 am

:o Why Thoul, are you suggesting this fellow would have married this unwitting "girl" for her money? That's just awful!
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Darkil » Sat Nov 28, '09, 4:35 am

Like some of the posts said, you know the world is in trouble when things like this don't even phase you..
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Srijita » Sat Nov 28, '09, 11:23 am

Tweeg wrote:I'm in my late 20's, single, have some college education, have been steadily employed for over three years now, but have never had a girlfriend in my entire life! Real women need to step up their game... whatever game that may be. :?

Hey, the door swings both ways. I hardly ever meet available men. At work, married colleagues will sometimes ask: "Where were you when I was single?" But where are the nice, single guys looking for serious relationships? They need to step up their game... fast.
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Erpy » Sat Nov 28, '09, 12:52 pm

Marriage is a big word, btw. They got some church crazy enough to fall for this to do a ceremony, so if you think word from a priest is the only relevant factor, then this guy now officially has a digital wife, but from a legal point of view this whole thing's a non-entity. He won't be getting any tax breaks any time soon, that's for sure.

I do wonder how the guy would react if he saw some other nerd with a DS play the game on the bus or subway wooing the same character...assuming he ever leaves his basement that is.
Erpy
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 26

Postby Tweeg » Sun Nov 29, '09, 2:24 am

Srijita wrote:
Tweeg wrote:I'm in my late 20's, single, have some college education, have been steadily employed for over three years now, but have never had a girlfriend in my entire life! Real women need to step up their game... whatever game that may be. :?

Hey, the door swings both ways. I hardly ever meet available men. At work, married colleagues will sometimes ask: "Where were you when I was single?" But where are the nice, single guys looking for serious relationships? They need to step up their game... fast.

<sigh> We're hanging out in places where the female populace would rather die rather than go into, places like GameStop and computer parts stores. And I think on those rare occassions that we do enter into a facility that caters to all types of people, like department stores, that we always go to departments where the other gender tends to avoid.

But perhaps you're right. I'm probably just as much at fault for my singulartity-ness as the still as yet unknown female is. Actually, I'd like to think I already know who she is, but I've never had the guts to go meet her in person via the local anime club I participate solely through the website of. Pretty sad I know. Member of a club that gets together once or twice a month to watch anime together as a group and I've never been to a single meeting in the eighteen months I've been a "active member". I've chatted with her back and fourth a little bit through the site's message board, but only about on-topic stuff. Yeah, I guess you're on to something there, need to step up the game... which leads to a stunning thought that has just occured to me!

The "game" in question is nothing more than simply finding a way to effectively communicate without hiding ones feelings! Which is going to be insanely difficult for me as I'm so practiced at hidind my true feelings and emotions from others that I do it without even trying. :worried:
Last edited by Tweeg on Mon Nov 30, '09, 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Next

Return to In the News