Opinions about PS3 tileset for story purposes

Explore the Alisa III as it travels the stars.

Opinions about PS3 tileset for story purposes

Postby Mycohl » Wed Jan 1, '14, 5:30 am

This may be a stupid question, and I'm not sure how active people are on this board any more, but I figured this would be a good place to get possible answers.

The tileset has two different sorts of barriers (not including water) - a brown one and a green one. I've always assumed that the brown were mountains and the green were thick forests. Neither would prevent a determined individual from passing in the real world, but they work as barriers for PS3's "lots and lots of walking" play-style.

The area I'm thinking about specifically is the Divisia region. In the game, the only way to pass from the dome's northeast quadrant to the entirety of the rest is to go through the castle and the dungeon. I doubt that the nobility is keen on every merchant and pauper who wants to cross over traipsing through their courtyard, so I imagine there must be some other way through; probably various paths through the forest or a mountain pass.

What are people's thoughts on this?
Mycohl
Newcomer
Newcomer

Achievements: 13

Re: Opinions about PS3 tileset for story purposes

Postby myau56 » Wed Jan 1, '14, 10:32 am

Hello and welcome to this fantastic site ! :clap:
Very interesting question (and not stupid at all !) and it's true that, when you take a look at the map, it's strange : logically, the mountains are in Brown and the forests un green : and here..the green "elements" seems to be mountains ! Green mountains and that is really so strange...
But tha fact that there seems to be only one way (through the castle then the dungeon) is indeed strange but maybe it's the only way ?
In fact, when you take a look at the map, Divisia is the only town on al the Elysium planet...YES you'll answer me that there is Aerone ! But how to land ? Only a winged creature or a winged machine can go there so...mybe the interest of this planet (for most of the people) is only Divisia ?
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Jan 1, '14, 2:31 pm

It would make sense, wouldn't it? Maybe at the time the game took place the forest path that merchants and others use had been blocked by a mountain avalanche, so you had to go through the dungeon. :-p

In seriousness, though, it is interesting to think about. You do raise pretty good points. There are similar instances in PSIV (like Tonoe) where you basically have to pass through a cave to reach the town. Now, it seemed Tonoe was fairly self-sufficient, so maybe they don't need contact with the outer world. Another example could be Kadary - again, you have to pass through a cave, unless one has the means to cross the quicksand. Which makes me wonder on Termi and Monsen…there is no cave. No getting in or out without a way to cross quicksand…and fight sand worms.

I guess these things are necessary for gameplay/story purposes, so real world considerations need not apply. But wondering real world implications is a fun thought experiment.

On our board activity, we're a small community, but we're still pretty active, all things considered. :)
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Wed Jan 1, '14, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Wed Jan 1, '14, 4:42 pm

Maybe a small community but it's quality that counts ! :D And we are still very active :)
WOLF BIRD : the avalanche way would have been a great explanation ! But that would have been a GREAT avalanche !! :rofl:

The examples taken from PSIV are great too : there is a lot of "blocked ways" everywhere in many Phantasy Stars ! Think about LOAR and ABION in the first PS ! Totally cut from the rest of Palma (but we know taht all is the result of Lassic's actions) even if there is indeed the passage Under the sea BUT with all those monsters roaming the lands, I'm not sure that many inhabitants would cross it ! And after there is the lava field..
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Mycohl » Wed Jan 1, '14, 5:42 pm

The story aspect I am considering is in Nial's timeline. I am presupposing the theory that Ryan saved Thea and assisted with the evacuation of Cille and Shusoran. Once the citizenry were in no immediate danger in Aridia, he then led a modest force through the nearby cave passage to Elysium in order to either enlist Lune's help or begin the rebellion. The question is, how did he get to the western part of Elysium? I doubt that he could have taken an armed contingent of Layan soldiers through Divisia. If the green things are trees, it would be safe to say that he led his group through a forest path, avoiding the Orakian stronghold entirely. Right?
Last edited by Mycohl on Wed Jan 1, '14, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mycohl
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Thoul » Thu Jan 2, '14, 7:59 am

When Layans are involved, there are all sorts of possible ways to get around the natural barriers that can be found by looking at examples in the rest of the game. Going through a forest path is certainly possible, but it's also possible that they Layans flew over on biomonsters or dragons.

Generally, it's safe to assume that any limitations the map places on your exploration apply only to your party and no one else in the world in this game.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby myau56 » Thu Jan 2, '14, 10:03 pm

Thoul wrote:Generally, it's safe to assume that any limitations the map places on your exploration apply only to your party and no one else in the world in this game.

You're right ! That is always the case ! (or very often in many RPG games !).

And about the layans that is true ! With tsome of them who can "transform" or use some sort of teleportation :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Sep 24, '19, 4:53 pm

A bit late, but Welcome to the Fringes site, Mycohl. :)

Interesting question and also interesting responses from everyone above. Thoul's statement about flying over via the biomonsters and dragons is something I had not thought of but sounds good.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Mycohl » Wed Sep 25, '19, 6:49 am

Silver_Surfer1 wrote:A bit late, but Welcome to the Fringes site, Mycohl. :)

Strange coincidence that you replied on the same day that I am checking my bookmarked PS fan sites for activity, but thank you.

My current working canon is that Ryan was the 2nd-gen Dragon Knight (I think I stole that idea from Mike Ripplinger?) and that is sufficient to explain modest travel requirements. It can always be expanded later.

In my canon, dragons are a separate "clade" from biomonsters, although the Dragon Knight phenomenon is a result of Layan genetic engineering, and they are not "True Dragons".

I have decided that at the time my fan work begins (1 year after Aron's ending), the Cilleans were mostly eradicated by Siren, but Ryan and Thea have reclaimed Shusoran, and Kara has taken the Lunar Layan contingent to reclaim Cille and the smaller surrounding islands.
Mycohl
Newcomer
Newcomer

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Sep 25, '19, 8:28 pm

Mycohl wrote:
Strange coincidence that you replied on the same day that I am checking my bookmarked PS fan sites for activity, but thank you.

You are very welcome Mycohl!
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Return to Phantasy Star III