Interesting things about magic in PSIV

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Interesting things about magic in PSIV

Postby Scootaloo » Tue Mar 1, '16, 8:11 pm

Here are some interesting things about magic in PSIV you may or may not have known:

-Kyra's uses a different Hewn and a different Tandle to Rune. Her version of them is 48 points higher. Sort of makes up for her not having Legeon. (Source: http://www.wrftpb.com/psiv/txt/ps4-techs.txt)

-The Destruction combo can be made in any order BUT Deban has to come first. (Source: http://www.wrftpb.com/psiv/txt/ps4-combos2.txt)

-There seems to be an enemy ability called "Destrocray", but I've never seen any enemy use it and I'm not sure what it is or what it looks like. (Source: http://www.wrftpb.com/psiv/txt/ps4-eskill.txt)

-Two Hewns existing isn't the only instance of two types of the same spell existing. There are also two versions of Corrosion (I always thought it was spelled Corrision). One is the version an enemy uses, and the other is the one Seth uses (Source: Me)

-Technically, the Physco-Wand isn't the only thing that can penetrate Zio's magic barrier, as Cancelling could also penetrate through it. (Source: Me)
Scootaloo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 48

Re: Interesting things about magic in PSIV

Postby Snorb » Wed Mar 2, '16, 7:10 pm

I don't think anyone in the party has access to Cancelling. =p
Read my social stuff!
The ramblings of an oldish geezer on Facebook.
@SnorbESnorb on Twitter. The "E" stands for "Everything."

Play my games!
The ArrrPG - A game I made about being a pirate. This be a first draft, matey! Though it plays just fine, clap yer eyes on th' eventual Revised an' Expanded Edition and you'll be pleased, by thunder!

Nakama: A Card Game of Magical Girls - A completely un-playtested card game about being a magical girl.

Well, excuse me while I defy all laws of logic and common sense and do it anyway.
Snorb

Achievements: 124

Postby Scootaloo » Thu Mar 3, '16, 7:49 pm

True. But if the Profound Darkness was playable she could use it =P
Scootaloo
Guardian
Guardian

Postby myau56 » Sat Mar 5, '16, 12:14 pm

Very interesting facts ! Thanks for sharing it with us :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby FreshFeeling » Thu Nov 24, '16, 2:19 pm

Scootaloo wrote:-Kyra's uses a different Hewn and a different Tandle to Rune. Her version of them is 48 points higher. Sort of makes up for her not having Legeon. (Source: http://www.wrftpb.com/psiv/txt/ps4-techs.txt)

Yup, Kyra's Hewn and Tandle are a bit more powerful than Rune's (48 points for Hewn and 32 for Tandle). Her Hewn is great for combos, and in Kyra's hands, Tandle is fairly competitive with all of the "ultimate attacks". Technically Kyra's Tandle can outdamage Posibolt and Legeon, since there are enemies with a double weakness against electric attacks.

There are two versions of every skill used by more than one PC, actually. Eliminat, Barrier, Spark, Recover, Flaeli. Oddly, in most cases they are completely identical anyway. Hahn is a little better at Eliminat than Rika (except she has higher Dex) and Wren is a bit better at Spark than Demi. I don't even know if these differences are even observable.

Scootaloo wrote:-Two Hewns existing isn't the only instance of two types of the same spell existing. There are also two versions of Corrosion (I always thought it was spelled Corrision). One is the version an enemy uses, and the other is the one Seth uses (Source: Me)

That's right: all enemy abilities are completely separate from player abilities. So this includes: Flare/Shot, Barrier, Spark, DblSlash, Phonon/masr, Shift, Saner, Doran, Seals, Rimit, Airslash, Deban, Giwat, Vol, Gra, Gigra, Gizan, Gires, Wat, Foi, Res, Sar, Zan, Gifoi, Gisar, Corrsion, Dthspell, Hewn, Tandle, Legeon, Gelun, Flaeli, Bindwa, and Megid. You can see in some cases the spelling is different but the idea is the same.
I guess that means there are three copies of Barrier, Spark, Flaeli, Hewn and Tandle.

The stats around enemy abilities are very strange. Technically, the enemy version of Sar and Gisar are statistically identical. Gisar just seems stronger because the enemies that use it (just Dark Witch, I think?) have much higher mental. A lot of them just generally work differently than the player version, too. Flare/Flare Shot is a good example of this.

Scootaloo wrote:-There seems to be an enemy ability called "Destrocray", but I've never seen any enemy use it and I'm not sure what it is or what it looks like. (Source: http://www.wrftpb.com/psiv/txt/ps4-eskill.txt)

Isn't that interesting. I made those pages and never realized that this enemy ability was never used. We'll have to hack it in sometime and see what it looks like - it'll make another good article for tcrf.net or something.
Try googling "destrocray". There's only a few results and they are definitely all Phantasy Star IV-related. One result is an unfinished, unpublished FAQ I was writing. I really don't want that out there, frankly...
Last edited by FreshFeeling on Mon Dec 12, '16, 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FreshFeeling
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 23

Postby myau56 » Fri Nov 25, '16, 11:47 am

Strange thing, this "Destrocray" ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Scootaloo » Thu Dec 1, '16, 2:37 pm

Very surprising how this "destrocray" thing is only being found out now. I wonder what enemy it was intended for...
Scootaloo
Guardian
Guardian

Postby Hukos » Thu Dec 1, '16, 5:11 pm

Is that even something that can be figured out via hex editing?
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Postby FreshFeeling » Mon Dec 12, '16, 4:43 pm

Scootaloo wrote:Very surprising how this "destrocray" thing is only being found out now. I wonder what enemy it was intended for...
Hukos wrote:Is that even something that can be figured out via hex editing?

Probably not, seeing as any tie between the ability and an enemy doesn't exist in the game's code. What's funny is that it had never occured to me before. I think when I saw Destrocray in the game's enemy ability tables I just naturally thought, "Yeah, that sounds familiar".

There are maybe two ways to learn the intention behind it (maybe):
1) Check if it might be different in the Japanese version (or a prototype translation version). Just as the Acacia/Shadmirage enemies were removed and thus their unique Star Dust attack is completely unused in international releases, perhaps Destrocray had a home in the original version. Not sure why it would be removed; seems like Acacia/Shadmirage were removed because of fleshy female chest pillows, so maybe Destrocray shoots fleshy female chest pillows at the party or something.
(note: I tried to use a respectful, anatomically correct word for fleshy female chest pillows but the site doesn't allow it, so I had to be a bit immature. Apologies.)

2) Hack the game so an enemy can use it. By hacking Destrocray onto, say, Xanafalgue, there's a reasonable chance that the game will crash or animate in an obviously incorrect way (just like when you hack skills onto characters they aren't intended for). It might take tons of trial and error, but if you eventually find a subset of enemies that it works perfectly for then it's pretty clear who it was meant for.
Or, perhaps that would give some insight as to why it isn't used.

EDIT:
3) It happens to appear directly after Shdwbreath and Lightshowr so there's a good chance it was meant for DF2. That's really just an educated guess though; enemy Burstroc is after Reinforce but Burstroc isn't used by Lashiec. But mostly, attacks that are unique to specific enemies do happen to be clustered together.
Why might it have been removed from DF2? No idea. It's just a little bit weaker than Lightshowr (and not an electric attack).
Last edited by FreshFeeling on Mon Dec 12, '16, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreshFeeling
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 23

Postby myau56 » Tue Dec 13, '16, 12:26 pm

Yes, very interesting facts ! i didn't know about the sheet about Star Dust and the other attacks : thanks for sharing it ! :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Next

Return to Phantasy Star IV