Movies combining with Games?

Chat about your latest viewings of the big screen movies.

Movies combining with Games?

Postby Thoul » Sat Feb 14, '09, 12:25 am

It seems Sony is taking up a new tactic to promote the PlayStation 3. They're considering releasing video games combined with a feature film on one Blu-ray disc. They say the discs are big enough to easily handle most games and a film as well. Apparently they saw a surge in console sales when Dark Knight was released on Blu-ray, so they're hoping this combo movie will get more consoles off the shelves and into homes.

How do you think this will affect the game industry if it is successful? What sort of movies would be packaged with each game genre? Games that are based on movies typically release at the same time the film hits theaters, not the film's Blu-ray release. Could this mean games getting released later or films making it to Blu-ray earlier?

Will they really be able to get a lot of game publishers and film distributors to work together? This would likely drive up the price of the bundled games, also; how much would you be willing to pay for a game/movie combo?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lucas » Sat Feb 14, '09, 10:59 am

Well if they did follow through with this I would hate to see the price in Australian dollars. Most games are quite expensive over here especially for PS3 and Nintendo Wii. Dare say I'll have to see what becomes of the matter.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Feb 14, '09, 10:19 pm

I suppose it will probably be a pretty profitable deal in the end. I kind of hate to see things like this happen, though. I think they ought to leave seperate things alone and see how they do. Sometimes it doesn't do well when they combine things like this as it some times i can diminish one or both of the items, etc.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Return to Feature Films