Huey Reane and the maruera tree

Have you tried your hand at fan art or original art? Show us here!

View Gallery Page

Postby Icecypher » Wed Sep 10, '14, 5:19 am

My favorite character from Phantasy Star II, Huey Reane.

I could not find what size maruera trees are supposed to be, so I went with "small", so even if they are meant to be large, I could pretend this one is just a young tree.
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 63

Re: Huey Reane and the maruera tree

Postby augmentedfourth » Wed Sep 10, '14, 2:21 pm

I already faved this at dA (I'm neongreenbassoon over there), but I'll say it here too: this is great!
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Postby Icecypher » Wed Sep 10, '14, 4:45 pm

Hello. Love your amigurumi. :yes:

Adding you to my dA watch list.

And thanks for the nice comments. I will do my best to create more PS fan art (there are already two more pieces, but I will not share them here because they are not for "all ages").

I am currently inking another Huey picture. I hope you like it too, once it is done.
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Sep 10, '14, 9:38 pm

Magnificent artwork!! Love the colors. :clap: I am really looking forward to seeing what other artwork you choose to share with us here. Thanks!! Oh, and how long did it take you to do a drawing like this. I wish I could draw but I'm lucky if I can do stick figures, lol. As such, it makes me appreciate it all the more when I see fantastic work like this one. :)
Palm Sunday ~ March 24, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Icecypher » Wed Sep 10, '14, 10:54 pm

Thank you!

If you look at the small dates in the pic, a year passed since I finished inking the picture (first date) until I finished coloring it (second date). Of course, that does not mean anything since I left the inked picture alone for months.

Since this drawing does not have a lot of detail (in lineart and colors), it did not take too long. I imagine the lines were finished (or could have been finished) in one day (again, not full days, but the amount of free time I get in one day). Perhaps two for the colors, although it could have been one day, as well, since there are very few colors in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Sep 10, '14, 11:01 pm

Very good! Quite well done. Would love to see more.

(Brevity due to typing this on my phone while standing on a bus).
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Icecypher » Wed Sep 10, '14, 11:11 pm

Thank you. I have to finish the other Huey pic I am inking this month (it will be part of a monthly art jam at a deviantART Phantasy Star group). It has a color restriction of a total 13 colors, using 4 NES palettes. I am already thinking the best way to use them, and I hope I can do a good job.
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Sep 11, '14, 2:48 pm

Great work, man, very good use of color, absolutely pro job on that, kind of reminds me of the color style they used in old game manuals, very classic and clean and just perfect. Good line work, too, I really like his expression and especially his hair, the hair is a great detail, very naturalistic (I can never get hair to look right these days, that's always tough).
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby Icecypher » Thu Sep 11, '14, 4:35 pm

Thanks. Even though I color with a mouse, I try to do it as I would if I used color pencils and paper, all with freehand. Takes longer than using the fill tool, but 1) I do not trust that tool (it eats up other regions or lines), and 2) I guess I am too stubborn, heheheheheh.

I always like how hair looks in sketches better than in finished pics... Somehow my hand feels less restricted to get it right when drawing a sketch, and I can get results I cannot then replicate when I try to make the lines perfect... Still, in this one I did try to make them look as free as I could. Thanks for noticing it.
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby Bragatyr » Thu Sep 11, '14, 9:49 pm

I actually feel the same way with sketches, it's a lot easier to make lines more flowing and natural than in a finished drawing. Just the act of pressing down to get a darker line makes the line look more mechanical, in my experience, but you did a great job here.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Next

Return to Artwork