How Would You Redesign the PS Characters?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Re: How Would You Redesign the PS Characters?

Postby Thoul » Wed Sep 8, '10, 6:37 am

Warrior Kara is probably the most horribly dated design in the whole series to me. She just overflows with 1990s vibes. I'm not sure what would be good for her. The sci-fi barbarian look might be good, though personally I'd want more of an emphasis on the sci-fi than the barbarian. The Xena look has become a bit of cliche to me.

The design you suggest for the other Kara seems good. It does provide a royal feel and is certainly battle worthy than a long, flowing dress.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tanith » Wed Sep 8, '10, 6:51 am

Thoul wrote:The sci-fi barbarian look might be good, though personally I'd want more of an emphasis on the sci-fi than the barbarian. The Xena look has become a bit of cliche to me.
Yeah, I really wish I had better resources for ideas! Xena is about the only thing I can think of as far as fierce warrior women goes; ones that don't look overly cavewoman-ish, anyway. The other overused warrior woman resource that I can think of is Wonder Woman. I'd rather not go there, honestly. I might have to prowl deviantArt for something good. It's been forever and a decade since I read comic books, so admittedly I'm out of the loop when it comes to fierce fighting women!
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Thoul » Wed Sep 8, '10, 7:05 am

To be honest, you'd be better off sticking with Xena than going to Wonder Woman. One of the reasons I think Xena's typical gear has become a cliche for warrior women characters is that even Wonder Woman started to copy it. Almost any comic during the last decade that called for Wonder Woman to fill the warrior role simply put her in a red and blue version of the Xena armor. (And the ones that didn't used a suit of armor that was entirely gold in color and had useless wings, which was horrible.)

It's kind of sad when a warrior character that predates Xena by around 50 years starts borrowing Xena's material.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Oakley2284 » Wed Sep 8, '10, 3:28 pm

If i have the occasion to redesign a character, I will redesign the Motavian Character. I like their clothes though... But I don't really know how to redesign the Motavian Race u_u. Have any Idea?
Oakley AW2284, on planet Motavia
Oakley2284
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 105

Postby Rick » Wed Sep 8, '10, 5:40 pm

if you want a warrior woman, you could try to model Princess or Warrior Kara after Kahlan in the Legend of the Seeker series.

Her black outfit in season 2 would work for Alys.. Or you can try the Mord Sith red leather look..

You could always look to the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms television series to see what Lady Sun was dressed as since she was a warrior..
Rick
Android
Android

Achievements: 49

Postby Tanith » Mon Sep 13, '10, 6:55 am

Gryz wrote:If i have the occasion to redesign a character, I will redesign the Motavian Character. I like their clothes though... But I don't really know how to redesign the Motavian Race u_u. Have any Idea?
I'm afraid I'd redesign Motavians fairly drastically. I'm not exactly sure what I'd do, but it would involve playing down how jawa/ewok-ish they appear in the games. Honestly, the Motavians and the Dezolisians are pretty backwards in their design, since for a cold environment something stout and with a lot of fur would be much better suited for that climate. The same goes for a desert environment, where thick, hairless skin would be cooler yet still protective.

Hm, now that I'm thinking about it, I think a better Motavian would look like a shorter, stouter numan. They'd have long, pointy ears, but their hair would be blue (to keep a bit of continuity). However, they wouldn't be completely covered in fur/feathers. Their skin would be thicker and darker than that of Palmans.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Lyla2284 » Mon Sep 13, '10, 2:41 pm

Rick wrote:if you want a warrior woman, you could try to model Princess or Warrior Kara after Kahlan in the Legend of the Seeker series.

Her black outfit in season 2 would work for Alys.. Or you can try the Mord Sith red leather look..

Hmm. Could you send me a reference picture of that outfit Rick? I'd actually like to see how Al looks in black leather. :D Not to mention MrKite would be eternally grateful for that fan-art.

Oh, and I have a FE related surprise for you. I'll send it to you via a PM.
Lyla2284
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 78

Postby Thoul » Mon Sep 13, '10, 6:55 pm

Motavians are a hard one, because we know so little about them. Mainly, do they have fur or feathers? If they have feathers, I might give them some small wings for limited gliding. If it's fur, something more like a numan would be my pick, too. They should keep the eerie red eyes either way, but the beak only works well for a non-human face.

Either way, I would ditch the big, bulky robes most of them wear. Those just seem very out of place on a desert world.

Rick wrote:Her black outfit in season 2 would work for Alys.. Or you can try the Mord Sith red leather look..

I'll agree on the black outfit, though I might change the color for Kara. The red leather doesn't really fit a princess type character. It didn't work too well in the show either, IMO.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tanith » Tue Sep 14, '10, 2:06 am

I told you I wasn't kidding about having some character work done:

http://hasay.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2ymym0

I'm not going to add this to the galleries, since it's not mine and I haven't talked to the artist about it. She might not want to be really tied to PS community, anyway.

I also request that no one critique the actual artwork unless you want to go to dA and critique the piece there. You can point the finger at me if you don't like some of the elements of Amy's redesign; those are all my ideas, and the artist did a fantastic job incorporating all the details I sent her. Yes, I requested her boots be darker than her bright yellow boots in the game. Cookies to anyone that can spot where I got the idea of her boot design. ;)

Anyway, I love this, of course. Couldn't be more pleased with it!

Keep those ideas coming!

Last edited by Tanith on Sun Oct 3, '10, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Postby Xander » Tue Sep 14, '10, 9:21 am

Awesome! :D
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

PreviousNext

Return to Classic Series