Earthquakes

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Earthquakes

Postby Thoul » Tue Aug 4, '09, 3:15 am

It seems things were really shaking today in California and Arizona, if you'll pardon the poor pun. They had three earthquakes right in a row earlier today. It seems that one triggered another which triggered another, or something like that. There was a minor quake in my area the other day, but it was nothing compared to those. I didn't even feel it.

I don't know how people are able to live with peace of mind out there in those earthquake prone areas. Maybe it's something one can get used to, but I'm not sure I could. Quakes are very, very rare in this area. How about you, do you live in a place with a lot of quakes?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Earthquakes

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue Aug 4, '09, 4:42 am

Not many quakes here. As natural disasters go, this area is actually fairly quiet. Tornadoes are fairly rare, the geography tends to weaken thunderstorms as they move in, no earthquakes, no hurricanes (except their remnants) and there's a dam that controls what used to be nasty spring floods, though the rivers in the area could still easily overflow their banks with enough rain. I guess the nature is at its worst in these parts in winter, as we can sure get some powerful snowstorms with the Great Lakes nearby. But this place is lucky in that respect, as in most other areas, there's at least one relatively common natural disaster that you just have to live with.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Lucas » Tue Aug 4, '09, 8:40 am

There was an earthquake in New Zeleand about 2 weeks ago and Australia was then put on a Tsunmai alert following the quake but nothing ever happened. :relieved:

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Aug 5, '09, 11:51 pm

We don't have many quakes here. I'm glad of that. They are kind of scary. Those out in California sound very bad. I think they are expecting " the big one " to hit out there anytime and so I can see how anything like this would be enough to scare them.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Darkil » Thu Aug 13, '09, 8:45 pm

No quakes here, only hurricanes. I don't know how I'd react to an earthquake but I can sleep through hurricanes like they're a normal rain storm.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Return to Casual Conversation