I feel good today...

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

I feel good today...

Postby Flames of Yagami » Sun May 11, '14, 7:17 pm

For anyone who doesn't know, I have a twin brother. You'd think that we have similar tastes in video games, but even though there are many games we both enjoy, he tends to have an intense hatred for a lot of the games I like (i.e. Mega Man or any fighting game that isn't Smash Bros. or Mortal Kombat). Sadly, the Phantasy Star series is another of those instances, or so I thought.

A few weeks ago, we were at a flea market and he bought a copy of Phantasy Star II on Genesis with everything minus the map and hint book. Since he likes to collect games (he had recently been collecting complete copies of early Genesis games), I didn't think anything of it. Lately, however, I've noticed that he yanks out a cartridge every time I walk into his room (not to snoop, mind you, just to chat and hang out with him). At first, I wondered why he would be doing that, but I slowly grinned when I saw PSII in the Genesis today. I'm guessing he's been too prideful to admit it to me. Still, I've never been so proud of him. Maybe Mega Man and Street Fighter will be next!
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Re: I feel good today...

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun May 11, '14, 8:12 pm

Yay!! It is easy to get hooked on these games, even when you don't think you can or will. Glad to hear he is enjoying his video games and collecting games too. That's awesome. :)

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby myau56 » Sun May 11, '14, 8:54 pm

EXCELLENT story ! Cool that your twin brother is starting to enjoy those games...especially PS II ! :clap:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby S4Blade » Sun May 11, '14, 11:57 pm

Haha, that's a funny story. I don't have any siblings that game, but my brother is thinking of buying a PS3. Although he probably wouldn't know what to do with it.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby Wolf Bird » Mon May 12, '14, 2:49 pm

Sometimes, when you try something you think you'll dislike, you find you enjoy more than you thought you would. Great to see that is apparently the case with your brother here. :)
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby myau56 » Mon May 12, '14, 8:58 pm

Wolf Bird wrote:Sometimes, when you try something you think you'll dislike, you find you enjoy more than you thought you would. Great to see that is apparently the case with your brother here. :)

Very good analysis here ! and it can be right for a lot of things ! :) Here is the case...
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Hukos » Fri May 16, '14, 7:12 pm

Wolf Bird wrote:Sometimes, when you try something you think you'll dislike, you find you enjoy more than you thought you would. Great to see that is apparently the case with your brother here. :)

It also broadens your horizons, which is almost always a good thing!
I feel the way you would
Hukos
Android
Android

Achievements: 41

Postby myau56 » Fri May 16, '14, 9:12 pm

To broaden the horizon is a great thing :), And many video gaames aare great to make that happen :)
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Icecypher » Fri Sep 19, '14, 4:02 pm

What are his tastes like? What is his temperament?

I would think PS II would be one of the hardest games to hook someone up these years, because of its user unfriendly (by current standards) interface and dungeons.

Some newcomer would need to have some good patience to play enough of it to realize how good it is. Perhaps he had an advantage since he knew it was good enough to have you so captivated as a fan.

All in all, it is good that I am not the only new phan of this decade.
ImageImageImageImage
Phantasy Star fan art
deviantART - Blogspot
Icecypher
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 63

Postby Bragatyr » Fri Sep 19, '14, 5:18 pm

Gotta agree on that, I imagine PS II would be nightmarish for anyone not already pretty seriously into JRPGs. The dungeons nearly drove me crazy, and I'm pretty used to insane dungeon design, ha ha.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Return to Classic Series