How did Motavia and Palma switch?

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

How did Motavia and Palma switch?

Postby Thoul » Sun Jul 29, '07, 11:23 am

In PSI, Motavia is the closest planet to the sun and Palma is second. When PSII came around, that was reversed - Palma was closest with Motavia being the second planet. There are two "official" explanations for the switch that totally contradict each other.

The PS Compendium book unofficial translation says an alignment of all three planets caused those two to change orbits. These changes, it claims, resulted in a huge disaster that destroyed cities and wiped out the government.

A more recent explanation comes from Sega of Japan's website (via online translators) and says Motavia has an elliptical orbit that causes it to periodically move behind Palma has it has in PSII. There's no disaster, no cities leveled; it just naturally happens every so often.

Which of these do you think is a better explanation? Is there a better one?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: How did Motavia and Palma switch?

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Jul 30, '07, 1:40 am

Thoul wrote:In PSI, Motavia is the closest planet to the sun and Palma is second. When PSII came around, that was reversed - Palma was closest with Motavia being the second planet. There are two "official" explanations for the switch that totally contradict each other.

The PS Compendium book unofficial translation says an alignment of all three planets caused those two to change orbits. These changes, it claims, resulted in a huge disaster that destroyed cities and wiped out the government.

A more recent explanation comes from Sega of Japan's website (via online translators) and says Motavia has an elliptical orbit that causes it to periodically move behind Palma has it has in PSII. There's no disaster, no cities leveled; it just naturally happens every so often.

Which of these do you think is a better explanation? Is there a better one?
I think they're both pretty weak, but the second argument is better. The terraforming of Motavia is a sufficient explanation for such a different landscape between the first and second games, but it would be highly difficult for a planet with such an unusual orbit to even be able to sustain life. I suppose Mother Brain could manage it, but we aren't given enough information.

I'd think that if the planets swapped spots during an alignment, that the destruction afterward wouldn't allow for a society that becomes more advanced between PSI-II, even if it did come from the outside. I'd think there'd be global catastrophes, possibly worse than the "Great Collapse" that we see the results of in PSIV. It would've been nice to see Palma in PSII, to see if there were sign s of devastation on it.

Another question: how does Dezolis come in? I don't have a comparison of it in all three games, but I remember the map being extraordinarily different in all three. Didn't Esper Mansion move from one side of Skure to the other? :eyebrow:
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Fogeltje » Mon Jul 30, '07, 9:37 am

No, I think the Esper Mansion's location hasn't changed actually.

As for Motavia and Palma, an elliptical could be possible, it happens in our very own solar system. For a time, Uranus was the last planet, moving before Pluto (though I can't remember whether Uranus or Pluto had the elliptical orbit).
"Rolf, there's no hope for me. If Neifirst is dead, I must die, too."
And in so saying, Nei silently closed her eyes.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Mon Jul 30, '07, 7:07 pm

Dezo is pretty much the same in all three games. The major landmarks are all in the same places, but the map is rearranged in each game to make it look like they might have moved at first glance. PSIV turned the map on it's side, making west (from PSI & II) north.

That's a hole in the Compendium's explanation, too. Palma and Motavia swap orbits when all three planets align, but nothing happens to Dezo? That seems weird to me.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The $ Avenger » Tue Jul 31, '07, 12:59 am

Fogeltje wrote:No, I think the Esper Mansion's location hasn't changed actually.

As for Motavia and Palma, an elliptical could be possible, it happens in our very own solar system. For a time, Uranus was the last planet, moving before Pluto (though I can't remember whether Uranus or Pluto had the elliptical orbit).
I stand corrected!

You are right about Uranus, (and Neptune) shifting outward, they formed between Jupiter and Saturn. I'm not sure about either of them having an elliptical orbit in the past though. Having an elliptical orbit would make it very difficult for life to survive with such volatile conditions in varying temperature. Although in Algo, all four planets are somehow in a "green zone" at some point in their orbits. The three inner planets must be really close together! :o
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Neithird » Tue Jul 31, '07, 2:39 am

Rykros has an elliptical orbit too, so it's not like that is unheard of in this series. I like that explanation better than the planets switching places. I had not heard of such a thing happening in real life before, but that lends more support to it.

Having an elliptical orbit would make it very difficult for life to survive with such volatile conditions in varying temperature.

That's a pretty good description of Motavia though, isn't it? It's a harsh, deadly desert where only the most hardy creatures can thrive in PS1. In PS2 it is not as close, so it would be cooler and more likely to be what we see there.

I'd think that if the planets swapped spots during an alignment, that the destruction afterward wouldn't allow for a society that becomes more advanced between PSI-II, even if it did come from the outside. I'd think there'd be global catastrophes, possibly worse than the "Great Collapse" that we see the results of in PSIV. It would've been nice to see Palma in PSII, to see if there were sign s of devastation on it.

I think the Compendium says Mother Brain was introduced and rebuilt the society after the planet switching, which explains it a little. It is kind of hard to believe that there's no sign of all those cities laid to waste or disasters that it talks about, though.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby newsblade » Thu Jan 17, '08, 2:40 am

That always sounded me a rush excuse for their mistake. Why the GL would do sutch terrible star system to live? And why "the great flip" append just once?

I'm glad they remade the explanation. The only problem is that "Parma" should be the planet with an elliptical orbit (as it is in PS4 radar). But that's ok, maybe the radar is up-side-down and motabia (an also dezo) are the ones with an elliptical orbit and Parma+Rykros have a normal orbit.
newsblade
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 34

Postby Celeith » Thu Jan 17, '08, 4:07 am

i often wondered since rykros has that odd rotation how it did not collide with any of the other planets in its orbit.. and also i wondered, in PSIV we see the asteroid belt that was once palma, but since a planet would be destroyed wouldn't that cause some kinda strange balance to change between the planets such as.. *i'm not to space literate here* the energy the planet has or whatever that keeps the planet alive, when it explodes wouldnt the energy send a shockwave outward, throwing off planets nearby thus taking them out of their axis?
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby SparkyIII » Thu Jan 17, '08, 4:13 am

XD I'd like to see that! Having a double planet cuz one crashed into the other one! XD
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Thu Jan 17, '08, 7:04 am

All that would depend on the location of the planets and the distance between them. Planets are usually very, very far apart. We're talking thousands, if not millions, of miles here. Rykros likely never comes very close to any of the others. Even during PSIV, Wren says it's outside of the known solar system. I'm sure there would have been a shockwave when Palma blew, but it could have dispersed into nothing by the time it reached Motavia, much less Dezo.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Classic Series