This story disturbs me .....

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

This story disturbs me .....

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Mar 28, '08, 7:23 pm

I heard a bit about this on the news the other night but not very much. Today I saw this story online where this little girl has died. I don't know why but this story disturbs me greatly. I wanted to see how everyone else felt about this, and would appreciate hearing your comments and opinions regarding this story:

http://www.ketv.com/news/15731048/detail.html

I know part of my sadness and other feelings is because the little girl has died - so young, and having suffered greatly with her illness. However, another part of me is so downright mad and angry :fiery: that her Father wasn't allowed to spend more time with her previous to her death. It could have made a world of difference, or maybe not, we'll never know, I guess.

I understand his crime was drugs or something of that nature. I know that is a bad crime, but HELLO people, he wasn't a murderer or anything of that horrific nature as far as I have read. So, why not let him atleast commute his sentence to be with his sick child and maybe serve it later on or something. I mean she was DYING - doesn't that make a difference, or maybe I should say shouldn't that make a difference. I'm not saying let him off scott free, but just let him spend time with his dying child - for her sake more than his sake.

Gee, I'm so mad I could spit! (sorry that's a saying I heard not too long ago - I don't really spit, lol, just so mad right now that's the first thing I thought of.

It just seems that sometimes the human race has so much good and so much potential for the future, and then WHAM!, it seems we backstep so far we will never get ahead again.

Sorry, I'm mad and I'm rambling. I'll stop now. My heart just breaks for this little girl, but at least she's in a much better place now and not sick anymore. :tombstone:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Tsunami » Sun Mar 30, '08, 10:00 pm

Wow, that is sad. :\ Shame that he couldn't see his daughter more, but that goes to show how the system works.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Mon Mar 31, '08, 6:39 pm

It's very sad, but well... the guy was in prison. It's meant to be a punishment, being locked away while the outside world carries on. This family got the short end of it, but that wouldn't have happened in this way if he hadn't done the crime in the first place.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Wed Apr 2, '08, 6:45 am

That seems so cool, its like a moment of complete joy that lets her leave the world.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Reno » Sat Apr 5, '08, 3:44 pm

Thoul wrote:It's very sad, but well... the guy was in prison. It's meant to be a punishment, being locked away while the outside world carries on.

Not true. Prison is supposed to be a rehabilitative environment where individuals that society deems unfit to carry on, go to be brainwashed and reeducated through conformity and complete disregard of self, into believing and acting however the state feels they should... See? That's nothing like a punishment at all!

Anyways... Yes, this is rather sad, but compared to some other horrible things going on in the world right now, the fact that letter-writers and e-mailers made this story a priority... just seems laughable to me.
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sat Apr 5, '08, 10:09 pm

Reno wrote:
Thoul wrote:It's very sad, but well... the guy was in prison. It's meant to be a punishment, being locked away while the outside world carries on.

Not true. Prison is supposed to be a rehabilitative environment where individuals that society deems unfit to carry on, go to be brainwashed and reeducated through conformity and complete disregard of self, into believing and acting however the state feels they should... See? That's nothing like a punishment at all!

I take it from what you posted above, Reno, that you are not too fond of prisons or how prisoners are supposed to be "rehabilitated". If I'm wrong on that, please excuse.

Some of this conversation reminds me of our recent "discussion" or "debate" on life imprisonment or the death penalty. :wink:

Reno wrote:Anyways... Yes, this is rather sad, but compared to some other horrible things going on in the world right now, the fact that letter-writers and e-mailers made this story a priority... just seems laughable to me.

Maybe I misunderstood again, however, I don't see anything laughable about a story where a young girl has just died! Life and death is a PRIORITY. Yes, there are many more horrible things going on in the world - everywhere - however if we can not find compassion for those dying and suffering in our own country, then we should be ashamed of ourselves. Some people can fight the bigger battles, but some people can become heroes by letter writing and emailing to correct what they feel is a wrong, or to just help their fellow neighbor who is in pain. My feelings in this story are with the little girl who's only dying wish was to see and spend time with her Father. I feel she deserved better.

Sorry, if I sound a little harsh, but this story really got to me. :yaknow:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Reno » Sun Apr 6, '08, 5:10 am

*sigh* No, Silver, one girl dying was not something I found to be very humourous... What I was saying was that it's rather amusing, (in a sad, sarcastic way) that many people get so riled about this when so many more horrible things are going on around the world that doesn't get a chance to grace their local news, which means that they'll likely move about in life completely oblivious to it. Who knows? Maybe they wouldn't even care if they did know; it's not like it's happening within their own country.

*heavy sigh* and while I'm at it...
No, I'm not very fond of the prisons and how they operate. It's an undeniable fact that prisons are indeed designed to do what I listed. You're isolated from society in a state-controlled environment where every influence that surrounds you is of the state's choosing. You're forced to wear uniforms and to keep hair a certain length, both are necessary to breaking down the individual person that improper social training has made a criminal out of, and get to the core of the human, that is, a child-like state. One that is easily influenced by what is presented to them. One that will, again, through isolation, be stripped of the 'bad' influences and exposed to only that which the state views as proper, will be reeducated into behaving however the state feels they should! To deny this... ugh! How can you! Or did you? I don't know, you didn't really say, but I'm reasonably certain that we completely disagree about everything else, so I'm just assuming you think differently for now. :wink: I don't believe it'll be necessary, but just as a precaution... I apologise if I'm mistaken.

Right... I do believe I'll go hide now... :boxedin: Later all!
"Science was dealt a crippling blow the instant that its conclusions were deemed to be subject to democracy."
[face=Arial][/face]
Reno
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 18

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Apr 7, '08, 8:01 pm

Reno wrote:*sigh* No, Silver, one girl dying was not something I found to be very humourous... What I was saying was that it's rather amusing, (in a sad, sarcastic way) that many people get so riled about this when so many more horrible things are going on around the world that doesn't get a chance to grace their local news, which means that they'll likely move about in life completely oblivious to it. Who knows? Maybe they wouldn't even care if they did know; it's not like it's happening within their own country.

Reno, you may be right about it, but I think the average person today knows more about what goes on in their own neighborhoods and also in the world as a whole because of so much news coverage available today in many various sources, aka Newspapers, TV, Radio, etc., and I think people care - it's just that they may not always know what "they" can do to help or improve, or try to change a bad situation, etc. I've heard stories of various people doing things they can to help people in various situations not only in their home countries but in other foreign countries as well. For those that do, though, there are probably more that don't, or won't for whatever reason.

Reno wrote:*heavy sigh* and while I'm at it...
No, I'm not very fond of the prisons and how they operate. It's an undeniable fact that prisons are indeed designed to do what I listed. You're isolated from society in a state-controlled environment where every influence that surrounds you is of the state's choosing. You're forced to wear uniforms and to keep hair a certain length, both are necessary to breaking down the individual person that improper social training has made a criminal out of, and get to the core of the human, that is, a child-like state. One that is easily influenced by what is presented to them. One that will, again, through isolation, be stripped of the 'bad' influences and exposed to only that which the state views as proper, will be reeducated into behaving however the state feels they should! To deny this... ugh! How can you! Or did you? I don't know, you didn't really say, but I'm reasonably certain that we completely disagree about everything else, so I'm just assuming you think differently for now. :wink: I don't believe it'll be necessary, but just as a precaution... I apologise if I'm mistaken.

Prison is a bad place, no matter how you look at it. And, those that are there are there for a reason too - so until the system comes up with something else, this is all we have. The only way not to take part is to make sure you don't do anything to get put there in the first place.

You know I said in the "what are you reading" thread that I was reading the book "My Prison Without Bars" by Pete Rose, the former baseball player, etc. I just finished that the other night and there was a few chapters in there about the time he spent in Prison. He didn't go into very much detail about the time he spent there, but I got the impression that he sure was glad to get out of there, for various reasons. Reading someone's true story like that opens your mind to how this type of life must be like - atleast a little bit.

And, just so you know, I don't think we disagree about everything, as you stated in your post. Atleast, I hope we don't! :) However, I do enjoy debating the issues with you and hearing how you feel about certain subjects.

Silver_Surfer1

Return to Casual Conversation