Hotmail security breach

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Hotmail security breach

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Oct 7, '09, 8:19 pm

It looks like there has been a security breach in some Hotmail accounts where some passwords were posted online, I think, but this also includes some Gmail, Yahoo, Comcast, Earthlink, AOL, and possibly others too.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... nline.html

This is scary! :yikes:

I have already changed some of my passwords just to be safe. If there is such a thing as "safe" any more. :yaknow:
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Hotmail security breach

Postby Srijita » Wed Oct 7, '09, 8:30 pm

More concerning still is the uncertainty over the means by which the passwords were obtained. Is this just "phishing", or key-logging, or... worse still... a genuine hack?

This article seems to suggest key-logging as a possibility, since only 1 in 1,000 users typically fall prey to phishing scams.

Web mail scam propagates itself
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Re: Hotmail security breach

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 7, '09, 9:13 pm

Key logging does make the most sense in this scenario. With such a variety of accounts being targeted, I find it hard to believe this could be a hacking case. If it was just Gmail or Hotmail that would be reasonable, but when you've got accounts with many different sites being used it is a different story. There would have to be several different hacks.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Casual Conversation