Self checkout lanes

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Self checkout lanes

Postby Thoul » Wed Dec 19, '07, 2:38 am

If you've been to any major store chain in the US in the last year, you've probably seen one of the self checkout lanes that have been installed in most of them. Have you ever noticed that about half of them are always closed?

What's the point of spending all the money to retrofit the stores and install these computers if they're not going to be used? People hate to wait in line, so why don't they turn on the self checkouts instead of letting them sit there when the lines are backed up to the wall?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby SparkyIII » Wed Dec 19, '07, 2:41 am

The ones here are never closed. Though, we don't go to that store very often.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Neithird » Thu Dec 20, '07, 8:59 pm

I have seen a lot of them that are closed! Usually it's because they are out of order. Some of the machines seem very prone to breaking.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Return to Casual Conversation