Holidays

Celebrating all those special times in each year.

Holidays

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Apr 1, '07, 7:13 am

Happy April Fool's Day!

Since this day of April lst happens to be a kind of holiday, although not official, but a rather memorable day, I thought this would be an interesting thread to begin related to the different Holidays, etc.

Some "holidays" are Official ones with people being able to take time off from work, school, etc., while there are some "holidays" that are not officially observed but still unofficially observed by many people. Some of them may simply be "fun" days as I suppose might describe "April Fool's Day", to some extent anyway. Hopefully we can discuss each Holiday here in this topic thread as it arrives this year.

April Fool's Day can be a fun day sometimes. Naturally, one has to be on their guard for all the "silly" jokes and tricks that friends may try to play. I don't know how many times I have fallen for the old "your shoe is untied" joke. :D Harmless jokes can be fun sometimes, but when it goes overboard, then that's taking it to the extreme and another matter entirely and totally out of line, in my opinion.

Anyone have any good April Fool's Day jokes to share, or harmless ones that you have fallen for?

Or, how do you really feel about April Fool's Day? Do you think it is NOT all that much of a "fun" or good day?
Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Holidays

Postby Thoul » Sun Apr 1, '07, 9:32 pm

It's fun as long as it's harmless jokes and nothing series. I always like to see what jokes the websites I go to are going to pull each year. :)

This year, it happens to be Palm Sunday also. Easter is just a week away.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Apr 2, '07, 12:02 am

Thoul, I'm glad you brought up the fact that today is also Palm Sunday. I had not really thought about the Easter season arriving so early this year. This year is moving so very fast it seems, as we are already beginning the 4th month of the year. Wow!

Any way, I'm sure that almost everyone knows what Palm Sunday is, but for those that are not certain. Palm Sunday is the observance of when Jesus entered the City of Jerusalem as he rode in on a donkey colt and he saw large crowds there who had come to celebrate the Feast Of The Passover. The crowds of people cut down Palm branches and laid them down making a path for Jesus to ride on. They also sang songs and praises to him. The entire " Easter Story" can be found in The Bible if anyone would like to read it or know more of the story.
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Apr 6, '07, 8:55 pm

Happy Good Friday!

Today (Friday) is Good Friday! The religious significance of this day is that this represents the day that Jesus Christ was crucified and died on the cross.

This day used to be a day when many people would plant their gardens and there was a belief, I think, that somehow the gardens would grow better or something. Too cold to even think of planting a garden here today as it is COLD! The weather has taken a dip backward. Anyway, hope everyone has a good day on this Good Friday!
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Sun Apr 8, '07, 9:37 am

Happy Easter Sunday!

Halleleuah, Christ Arose! The religious significance of this Easter Sunday day is that on the third day after his crucifixion (which was on Good Friday), Christ arose from the grave. This is the day that Christians all over the world rejoice in and give thanks for.

Also, For many people today will be a day of family fun and enjoyment spent hiding and then searching for Easter Eggs, etc., along with other family events. An Easter Egg hunt is always fun - especially if you find the prize egg! :egg: It's fun eating all those chocolate rabbits and candy eggs and jelly beans and other snacks too. :bunny:

Have a great day everyone!
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Apr 9, '07, 7:25 pm

Happy Easter Monday ! (Canada)

According to my calendar, today is Easter Monday in Canada. I don't know if we have any Canadian friends who visit the board or not, but if so, Happy Holiday today everyone in Canada! Have a wonderful day! :wave:
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Apr 13, '07, 6:44 pm

Well, it's not a holiday but today is Friday the 13th of April.

I'm not that superstitious but just thought I'd mention it. :roll:
Silver_Surfer1

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon May 21, '07, 8:09 pm

Memorial Day is coming up soon. Anyone have any holiday plans for this day or other observances of the occassion you might like to share with us?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Neithird » Tue May 22, '07, 1:00 am

I'm just going to sit back and relax. I could use a mini-vacation!
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Thoul » Wed May 23, '07, 5:30 am

About the same here, I'll just laze around at home or something. Maybe play a video game or such.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Next

Return to Holidays