Video Games and depression

Discussion of news stories dealing with gaming.

Video Games and depression

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Aug 15, '14, 8:54 pm

I saw this headline and my first thought was "Oh No, something else they are going to blame video games for!". But I was wrong. This story is actually about how video games are helping people fight depression. Cool story.

https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-i ... 55335.html

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Video Games and depression

Postby S4Blade » Fri Aug 15, '14, 10:47 pm

Well there have been plenty of times when I've had a bad day at work, and spending some good time with a game will cheer me right up. It seems like common knowledge to me. I don't see why studies need to be done.
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Aug 16, '14, 5:07 am

Well, studies do need to be done for something that might be helpful medically to be accepted by the medical community as a potentially valid therapy. Anecdotes and stories aren't data, but they can point to something worth doing a more controlled study on. Sure, to us gamers, it's obvious. But to non-gamers, not so much, necessarily. It seems that with games still getting a fair bit of negative press, once scientists step in and actually look objectively, they find the popular notions are half-truths at best.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby S4Blade » Sat Aug 16, '14, 6:17 am

So maybe we are not too far away from getting our WOW subscriptions renewed at the Pharmacy? :D
Currently Playing: Nothing

S4Blade
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 39

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Aug 16, '14, 2:22 pm

It would be amazing if someday, you visit a psychologist for treatment for depression, and your prescription is 10 mg of prozac daily, and orders to buy a gaming system if you don't already own one, and play it for at least an hour daily.

The thing is, you never know. And believe it or not, the medical profession values non-drug therapies, and non-drug therapies are among the most effective in mental health treatment long-term, as well as long term pain management (i.e., physical therapy). The problem is that in a society valuing ease and convenience, it's easier to take a pill than it it is to exercise a few days a week or play a game.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Sat Aug 16, '14, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Return to In the News