Internet doomsday July 9

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Internet doomsday July 9

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Jul 9, '12, 1:02 am

Has anyone else heard this crazy thing about an "internet doomsday" that might happen on July 9 when some computers may shut down???

http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/tech ... ves-869336

Has anyone tried any of these links to check your computer??? I don't know if this is something to actually be worried about or some kind of hoax or something.

Would be interested in anyone's opinions or comments on this.

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Re: Internet doomsday July 9

Postby Flames of Yagami » Mon Jul 9, '12, 7:47 am

Don't take my word on it, but personally, I think this might just be another one of those things made to scare people, much like Y2K or Harold Camping's prediction of Judgement Day being on 5/21/2011.

UPDATE: I read the article more carefully. Apparently (from what I understand), the internet's only being shut down for computers that have a specific computer virus. Just to be safe, I checked the site on my computer and my laptop and it said I should be fine. I also did a virus scan on both, I didn't find any kind of malware.
Last edited by Flames of Yagami on Mon Jul 9, '12, 7:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Postby myau56 » Mon Jul 9, '12, 1:01 pm

I've heard about it ! About an FBI investigation if I'm not mistaken, and yes only about a virus present in some computers. that seems to be very strange !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Jul 10, '12, 2:47 am

Well, "internet doomsday" has come and almost gone as the day is almost over here. I had no problems whatsoever and I never did go to that site and check my puter either.

Haven't heard of anyone else having any problems today yet either, so maybe it wasn't something to worry about.

Hope everyone else made it through the day fine and dandy. :)

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Tue Jul 10, '12, 4:34 pm

I read something about this a while back in another story. I think the malware involved only targeted people with certain Internet Service Providers, mainly the largest ones out there. I personally use one of the slightly smaller places, so it didn't impact me. I checked my computer just to be safe, of course. ;)

It probably was being blown out of proportion to some degree, but I'm sure there were some folks who put off upgrades and maintenance that were affected somewhere. It could be like Y2K, with awareness being raised enough that steps were taken to prevent any real problems from occurring.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Return to Casual Conversation