Healer Showdown: Amy vs. Raja!

Discuss the saga of Algo, where the legend began.

Who is the Best Healer?

Amy
38%
Raja
63%

Total votes : 8

Healer Showdown: Amy vs. Raja!

Postby The $ Avenger » Sun Aug 26, '07, 1:56 am

Now that the categories that covered a great deal of player-characters have been covered, it's time to move on to the smaller ones! There's still a bunch of these smaller categories. Don't worry, I'll get to everybody so that no one is left out. On to the question! So who is the better of the two devoted healers: Amy, the Doctor, or Raja, the Priest? Like the others, this encompasses both the character's abilities, and their' story.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 7

Postby Shinuzzo » Sun Aug 26, '07, 5:25 am

While Raja is much more flushed out in terms of character and makes the end-game easier, there isn't exactly a shortage of healing in PSIV. Amy has the only multi-target healing techs in PSII. Plus she learns Gires way before anyone else and has exclusive use of Nares and Sashu.
Shinuzzo
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 25

Postby Tsunami » Sun Aug 26, '07, 4:21 pm

I had to vote for the green guy. :D I love his sense of humor! That, and he's always been very useful with both his skills and strong techniques.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Sun Aug 26, '07, 10:29 pm

It's true that there is a lot of healing spread around the party in PSIV and Amy is a more vital party member in her game, but I still have to go with Raja. Aside from his humor bringing some lightheartedness to an otherwise serious story, he also has the ability to heal mental exhaustion (restoring TP). That is a very handy trait in the later parts of PSIV.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Mon Aug 27, '07, 1:51 am

I had choose Raja as well, for the same reasons as Thoul.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby The $ Avenger » Mon Aug 27, '07, 2:03 am

This one is probably the most difficult decision for me thus far.

Raja's the only playable Dezorian in the series, but I like Amy's character better, even if she doesn't talk except at her introduction and at the end. I'll pick a doctor over a priest everyday. In addition, when I was younger I found Raja's humor as a great addition to the party, but I find it irritating now.

Also, Amy is far more necessary to have in the party than Raja for her healing abilities with the early Gires and being the only character in PSII with Nares. For the most part, Raja gives you more of what Rika has; the game is so easy that you don't need Ataraxia much of the time. When I first played PSII, having Amy in the party was a matter of survival and the only way I beat the game!

But as I developed some strategy and attempted some challenges in PSII I realized that you can beat the game with any group without Amy. She loses almost all her usefulness when you get Shir; after that she's entirely replaceable by Star Mist and, a bit later, the Scarves. Sure, she can give the party more healing beyond inventory slots, but that's overkill. Raja has the irreplaceable Skill, Ataraxia that saves a few trips to an inn, and is useful in boss battles, along with St. Fire. Raja wins out in that aspect.

In the end, despite Amy becoming almost totally obsolete, I cast my vote for her. Science vs. mysticism is too huge an issue for me to overlook, despite Raja's superior abilities.
"Impossible is just a word people use to make themselves feel better when they quit." Vyse, Skies of Arcadia Legends.
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Postby Atlinsmere » Mon Aug 27, '07, 2:38 am

Wow, that was very logical and informative... My head kinda hurts now...
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Fogeltje » Mon Aug 27, '07, 10:15 pm

Hmm tough choice, can't decide for now. I always thought Raja made the end-game way to easy, but then again I think all spellcasters (well especially Raja and Rune) are way to overpowered in PSIV.

As for Amy, after I discovered the gires items (yes the first time I played it I had no clue) I never used her in the later stages anymore, just gave everyone a gires item to heal themselves. Before that Amy was next to Rudo a compulsory choice. I'm undecided so far.
"Rolf, there's no hope for me. If Neifirst is dead, I must die, too."
And in so saying, Nei silently closed her eyes.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 40

Postby The $ Avenger » Tue Aug 28, '07, 12:26 am

Trenzer wrote:Wow, that was very logical and informative... My head kinda hurts now...
Oh, Trenzer, don't be afraid of logic, it's your only tool of survival! :idea:
The $ Avenger
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Return to Classic Series