Top Earning Dead celebrities

Sports, movies, music, TV, and other forms of fun.

Top Earning Dead celebrities

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Oct 30, '07, 6:23 pm

I also posted this under the "Elvis" thread on the "Tootin Tunes" section of the board, but since it involves more categories than just songs, etc., I thought it might be okay to post it here also.

Elvis has reclaimed the top spot on this years list of the top earning "dead" celebrities!

Elvis has been at the top of the list for several years, until last year when Kurt Cobain was No. 1. This year Kurt Cobain did not even make the list.

The top Thirteen earning dead celebrities were:

1. Elvis
2. John Lennon (Beatles)
3. Charles Schultz (Peanuts characters fame)
4. George Harrison (Beatles)
5. Albert Einstein (Scientist)
6. Andy Warhol
7. Dr. Seuss
8. Tupac Shakur (Musician)
9. Marilyn Monroe (Actress)
10. Steve McQueen (Actor)
11. James Brown (Singer)
12. Bob Marley
13. James Dean (Actor)

Here's a link to read more:

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/In ... ities.aspx
Last edited by Silver_Surfer1 on Wed Oct 31, '07, 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Tue Oct 30, '07, 10:26 pm

The musicians I'd expect, but Einstein? I don't get that at all. Has there been a run on physics books that I don't know about?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tsunami » Wed Oct 31, '07, 12:41 am

I never thought too much about celebrities earning money even after their deaths. Does the money go to their family or something? :D

Thoul wrote:The musicians I'd expect, but Einstein? I don't get that at all. Has there been a run on physics books that I don't know about?
He was a famous scientist. But then again, I can't see any ways of him earning money other than researching! (which is isn't able to do in his current state)
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 31, '07, 2:11 am

Tsunami wrote:I never thought too much about celebrities earning money even after their deaths. Does the money go to their family or something? :D

It does in some cases; in others I believe it goes to the company that owns the publishing rights for their works.

He was a famous scientist. But then again, I can't see any ways of him earning money other than researching! (which is isn't able to do in his current state)

Yeah, exactly... I mean, the musicians' songs and records will still be bringing in the dough from royalties or licenses for use in commercials or whatever. But Einstein? It's not like everyone has to pay a license to use the theory of relativity. :?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Oct 31, '07, 3:49 am

Okay, here's an explanation in regards to Einstein being one of the top five money makers on the list. When clicking on the link above, if you look closely you will see another link there which says "The entire list", and if you click on that, it will show a seperate pic of each celebrity and some info on them. I've added a link below to the one regarding Einstein. If you notice, the info next to his pic, it also talks about where the royalties, monies, etc., go to and why.

http://www.forbes.com/2007/10/26/top-de ... =undefined
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Neithird » Thu Nov 1, '07, 6:35 pm

Wow, I wouldn't have expected Einstein to be such a big money maker. It really shocks me that Kurt Cobain dropped off the list entirely after just one year. Even if his estate didn't bring in as much, I would have thought he'd at least make number 10.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Elaina » Sat Nov 10, '07, 12:39 am

It is amazing how someone's children could live the rest of their lives off of the money that they're parents or grandparents earned, AFTER their death.
Elaina
Citizen
Citizen

Achievements: 1

Postby SparkyIII » Sat Nov 10, '07, 9:44 am

Wow, Dr. Seuss? Einstein was sure to make money. And so was Seuss, or whoever real name it was, but I never thought they made more than most people. Thats insane.
Everything has a pattern. Something set. Even random things. They aren't random at all, its complex mathematics. The trick is to find the pattern. Then you can exploit it.

People think things have a certain end. Taxes. Work. Due dates don't really exist. Trust me. When you put a band of world scholars in the same room, and set them on talking about anything, the most interesting topics come up. The existence of negative time. The probability of "random occurrence". The government's involvement in the media. And falsified due dates. They aren't real, trust me....
SparkyIII
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 40

Postby Neithird » Sat Nov 10, '07, 3:40 pm

His books have always been popular, but I bet the movies and toys based on them help a lot too.
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Return to Entertainment