Harry Potter

Sports, movies, music, TV, and other forms of fun.

Re: Harry Potter

Postby Thoul » Fri Jul 20, '07, 3:00 am

I don't want to get into a debate about religion, but in some people's beliefs, any association with magic is to be avoided (it all comes from the devil or whatever). I agree that it was probably not intended to apply to fictional works. I guess the thinking there has become that if the children accept magic in fiction, they may be inclined to pursue the real thing as well.

As far as educating the children, in most cases like this the parents can't do that because they are not educated on the subject either. They would have to become educated on it first... but then, that's against their beliefs, too. It's a catch 22. :(
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Oct 23, '07, 9:16 pm

Just wondering what everyone thought of the Harry Potter author just recently saying that one of the characters in the book/movie was "Gay"?

I haven't read the books or seen the movies so I don't know much about it. They do seem to be very popular for people of all ages, though. Anyone care to comment?

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Wed Oct 24, '07, 11:15 pm

It seems like a gimmick to drum up sales to me. It was a sure fire way to get the books and movies in the news again and get people talking about them. Now some people that wouldn't have given the books a second glance will go read them to see what this character is like.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Tsunami » Thu Oct 25, '07, 9:20 am

This, I haven't heard. Anyone care to take any guesses on who it is? :D
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Neithird » Thu Oct 25, '07, 2:35 pm

Oh, I remember reading a news story about that. It was the headmaster of the school. Oh, what's his name... I haven't read the books and only saw a couple of the movies once, so I'm not sure. The elderly guy with the long white beard.

The article I saw said that the author saw something in one of the upcoming movies about the character's old girlfriend or something, then sent a note to the producers about the character being gay.

My understanding is that it was never mentioned in the books and a lot of people view this as a retcon (retroactively changing the character).
:clyde: · · · :pacman: · · · · · · ● · · · · :inky: · · ·
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings." ~ Optimus Prime
Neithird
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 21

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Oct 25, '07, 8:40 pm

Neithird wrote:My understanding is that it was never mentioned in the books and a lot of people view this as a retcon (retroactively changing the character).

I haven't read the books or seen the movies and don't know who the character is, but I think I would feel like Neithird described above. It would really tee me off, for lack of a better word that the censor monitors here won't allow. :wink:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Tsunami » Thu Oct 25, '07, 8:51 pm

Albus Dumbledore? Somehow, that doesn't fly with me. :eyebrow:
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Oct 25, '07, 9:01 pm

Tsunami wrote:Albus Dumbledore? Somehow, that doesn't fly with me. :eyebrow:

Golly, what a name! :rofl: It might be interesting to find out how they came up with a name like that one. I must admit, it is unusual, and I've never heard of anyone else with a name even remotely like it. :eyebrow: :wink:

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Tsunami » Thu Oct 25, '07, 9:05 pm

Secret_Surfer wrote:
Tsunami wrote:Albus Dumbledore? Somehow, that doesn't fly with me. :eyebrow:

Golly, what a name! :rofl: It might be interesting to find out how they came up with a name like that one. I must admit, it is unusual, and I've never heard of anyone else with a name even remotely like it. :eyebrow: :wink:

It's just that his character...he doesn't seem like that at all. I've read the first four books, and I think that was just thrown in there purely for shock value.
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Postby Thoul » Thu Oct 25, '07, 10:45 pm

Yeah, it's Dumbledore that is supposedly gay. From what I've heard of other people discussing it, he was supposed in love with some rival from his younger days.

But yeah, it just seems like shock value to me, too. Something to :stir: with the conservative groups and drum up press for the movies.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment