Happy Birthday, Phantasy Star IV!

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Happy Birthday, Phantasy Star IV!

Postby Thoul » Wed Dec 17, '08, 6:00 am

Today marks the 15th anniversary of the original release of Phantasy Star: The End of the Millennium. Yup, December 17 in 1993 was when the game first graced store shelves. It was just three days short of being the sixth anniversary of the first Phantasy Star's release as well. North America received the game the following year, where it was priced at US $100. Europe had to wait a full two years from the first release.

It has been a long time since we first got to see Chaz mature, Alys' strong will, Rika's first experiences, and Raja's wit. Man, how time flies, huh?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Dec 17, '08, 6:13 pm

I was 7 or 8 when it first came out, remember watching my dad and brother play it. I think it was the last Genesis game I beat before we got the Playstation. And I still go back and play it through sometimes.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Celeith » Wed Dec 17, '08, 10:45 pm

I was 6 when it was released. Although the video stores in the town we lived in didnt start carrying Sega games until I was about 9 so I missed out on playing PSIV for a long period of time.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Thu Dec 18, '08, 12:33 am

Happy 15th anniversary and birthday to Phantasy Star IV!!!! :cake: :proposetoast:

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Lucas » Thu Dec 18, '08, 1:00 am

Yeah Phantasy Star IV rules.

To be honest I had never seen any original Phantasy Star games back on our shelves in the day maybe because they were just to popular or something. Thats why its good Sega release its Megadrive collection for PS2 or else I'd probably have to play it on an emulator constantly.

"It's always fun to kill a god." ~ Akuma (Marvel vs. Capcom 3)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby PSP » Mon Jan 19, '09, 3:11 am

Wow, I remember when PSIV came out. Or rather, when I first rented it. It was 1995, and I had been playing Shadowrun for the Genesis. I got stuck at the "feathered serpent" part of the game, and I decided to try something new. I had rented almost every other game that Blockbuster had, so I tried PSIV.

For the next several months, I rented it every weekend and went to Tower Records to stare at a copy that was $100. My parents finally broke down and got it for me at Christmas that year, which I eagerly shot through it again in 48 hours (not actual play time, just in general). Still love the game to death to this day.

-Corey
PSP
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 20

Postby Darkil » Mon Jan 19, '09, 6:10 pm

I'll never forget reading a gaming magazine wishing for a new Phantasy Star and I came across an article about IV. I nearly scared my friend out of his skin when I yelped for joy at finding out there was a new one.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Schala Zeal » Wed Jan 21, '09, 6:26 pm

Unfortunately, I never got to experience the game when it first came out; in fact, I didn't get to experience the game until about three years ago when I got the Sega Genesis collection for the PS2. It's too bad that I missed out on such an awesome game for so long. :bang:
Schala Zeal
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 21

Postby PSP » Mon Jan 26, '09, 5:47 am

Nothing to feel bad about. In all honestly, that first time playing through such a game is priceless. The new experience and so forth. That's what made the PSI and PSII remakes so great in my opinion, things were a little different and therefore new, but it was the same...if that makes any sense.

In any case, PSIV remains a favorite to this day.

-Corey
PSP
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 20

Return to Phantasy Star IV