More 3DS News - Virtual Console

Examine the concepts and building blocks of games and systems with us.

More 3DS News - Virtual Console

Postby Thoul » Wed Sep 29, '10, 7:55 pm

Nintendo recently held a conference, during which they made a lot of announcements about the upcoming 3DS. Some of the system's newly announced features and specifications are:
  • Charger Stand and adapter,
  • Longer, extending stylus (10 cm compared to DS Lite's 8.5 cm),
  • 2GB SD card,
  • Game Boy and GB Color Virtual Console,
  • Plays DS games,
  • 3 cameras, two outside and one inside,
  • Top screen: 3.53 inches, 800x240,
  • Bottom screen: 3.02 inches, 320x240
These are, of course, in addition to previously announced features like the 3D abilities of the handheld.

Perhaps the biggest news here is the new Virtual Console feature. Game Boy and Game Boy Color games are going to be available, meaning Nintendo will be re-releasing many classic games for the first time. Only Super Mario Land and Link's Awakening DX have been announced so far, but those two are a great start. I'm sure Metroid II will be on the service pretty quickly, since it's never been revisited since the Game Boy.

Perhaps down the line Nintendo will also add Game Gear titles if Sega gets on board with this. The DS should be more than capable of running those. IIRC, the Game Gear was also capable of running Master System games, so who knows, we might even get classic Phantasy Star on the 3DS at some point.
Last edited by Thoul on Wed Sep 29, '10, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: More 3DS News - Virtual Console

Postby xellos667 » Wed Sep 29, '10, 8:00 pm

The 3DS was already a must-buy for me...now it's even more one. Playing GB, GBC, DS and 3DS games on one portable system, this is the dream Nintendo portable...only bummer, why no GBA? Original DS could play those, I just hope they get announced later on, this would mean that the 3DS could play all the main generation of Nintendo Handled.
xellos667
Android
Android

Achievements: 43

Postby Thoul » Wed Sep 29, '10, 8:23 pm

I'm curious about the lack of GBA titles, myself. Maybe they're too large or Nintendo just wants to wait on them. A lot of people still have older model DSes that can play them, so maybe Nintendo is waiting for the next generation of 3DS for those. It will take a long time to go through the catalog of GB and GB games. There's Mario, Tetris, Pokemon, and lots of others. If Square Enix gets involved, that brings Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, too.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Flames of Yagami » Thu Sep 30, '10, 12:41 am

I've been excited for the 3DS since the announcement of Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition, but now I'm VERY eager to get my hands on it. Plus they even announced Megaman Legends 3 for it!
The Gameboy Virtual Console is a great idea but I do wish they would have done it for the DSi. GBA games will probably follow. I hope they eventually put NeoGeo Pocket titles on there, I'd like to play SNK vs Capcom: MotM and Sonic Pocket Adventure on something other than an emulator.
Last edited by Flames of Yagami on Sun Oct 3, '10, 1:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Flames of Yagami
Alisa Pilot
Alisa Pilot

Achievements: 212

Postby MrKite » Sun Oct 3, '10, 12:28 am

Why don't they add Atari Lynx or Neo Geo Pocket titles too? And I hope they have the Game Boy Mega Man games as well.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby Thoul » Thu Oct 21, '10, 5:06 am

Maybe they'll save those systems for later. With the Wii Virtual Console, there were a few systems added after launch. Nintendo may have to develop emulators for them that will run on the 3DS hardware.

I'm sure the Mega Man games will be early releases for 3DS VC. Mario, Zelda, and Mega Man should be some of the first titles up.
Last edited by Thoul on Thu Oct 21, '10, 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Jan 19, '11, 6:35 pm

More news about the Nintendo 3DS....it will be out around March 27 for about $250.00 bucks:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... -for-250/1

Anyone still planning on getting one of these??
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Rudo » Wed Jan 19, '11, 8:27 pm

Yes, me, i want one.
Rudo
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 192

Postby Thoul » Wed Jan 19, '11, 8:53 pm

Maybe later in the year. That price is quite a bit higher than what I was hoping it would be. Based on how much play I've gotten out of the last couple of handhelds, I can't justify $250 for a 3DS unless it has a good number of really, really great games.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Celeith » Sun Jan 30, '11, 4:59 am

Well I dunno if I want to get the 3DS or not, mainly I'm looking to see how Tales of the Abyss will work on the system and am curious what a few projects are coming from Square. On the other hand I own a DS already and don't really wanna spend more money on another handheld that I'll rarely play.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Next

Return to Tech and Design