Gulf oil spill

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Re: Gulf oil spill

Postby Thoul » Thu Jun 24, '10, 4:48 am

So now this situation is starting the threaten all of North America by potentially causing more earthquakes? BP needs to either put a stop to this leak once and for all or get out of the way so someone else can do it. Maybe this will finally spur the US government to take control of the situation and do something.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Jun 24, '10, 5:18 am

I have a feeling the rain is due to that dispersant, which breaks up molecules and probably makes it easier for petroleum to evaporate into the air...and thus, fall in rain. Wonderful. As for the other stuff...well, I'm not geologist, but I heard about the earthquake today. In a way, I'm surprised I didn't feel it. But that sounds serious, to say the least, and it's something I should look into more as it's gotten me at least curious so I have a better understanding of what may be going on.

But I HAVE known is that the oil is pretty much squirting out, not just leaking. I've watched the video enough at the New York Times site, where you can see multiple angles, to know it's under ENORMOUS pressure. That's why the top kill didn't work; the pressure of the oil was stronger than the pressure of the dirt and other stuff they tried plugging the pipe with.
Last edited by Wolf Bird on Thu Jun 24, '10, 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Wed Jun 30, '10, 11:25 pm

Tweeg wrote:Wildlife rescuers claiming that BP is now intentionally killing off a rare and endangered species of sea turtle: http://j-walkblog.com/index.php?/weblog ... rtle_soup/

Found an article today about some folks trying to save some of these turtle eggs, etc.,:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/env ... titialskip

I wish them all the luck in the world. :yes:
Happy St. Patrick's Day ~ March 17, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Thoul » Thu Jul 15, '10, 10:51 pm

Well, it seems BP finally put a successful cap on the spill after nearly three months:
http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather- ... 2010-07-15
Now it's just a matter of seeing if this will hold. It's still not a permanent fix, but at least they have stopped the flow of oil for now.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Prince Noah » Fri Jul 16, '10, 1:44 am

Prince Noah
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 21

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Sep 2, '10, 9:07 pm

Gulf Oil spill, part 2...

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/03/us/03rig.html?hp

How many times does this need to happen? I just hope it's true that the rig wasn't producing, and that sheen is either lingering from the previous spill, or from the rig itself...and not from another spewing well on the sea floor.
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Postby Thoul » Thu Sep 2, '10, 9:21 pm

Ah, not again. I really hope this is not another spill. The last one was devastating to the area. Another spill is most definitely the last thing needed now. It sounds like this rig has been very prone to accidents, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Darkil » Fri Sep 3, '10, 3:12 am

Well apparently the rig was an oil producing one...obviously they aren't stating whether or not it's a spill yet, but regardless this is very frustrating.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Thoul » Wed Sep 8, '10, 6:46 am

So, did they ever decide if this was a spill or not? I'm guessing not, as I haven't seen any further news about it.

Going back to the previous spill for a moment, BP is receiving some praise for one of their plans to deal with the spill. This news article is a little confusing to me:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100907/ap_ ... _s_the_oil
From what I gather, some of the chemicals they released to dissolve the oil are working well. There was apparently a fear that the underwater environment would be seriously deprived of oxygen and become sterile. It seems that's not happening, which is good news for all the sea life in the area.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Wolf Bird » Wed Sep 8, '10, 3:13 pm

Guess that's good news, for now, and good news is...well...good. But they need to keep an eye on this...for years. Still no telling what kind of long term effects the oil and dispersant may have.

Wolf Bird

PreviousNext

Return to Casual Conversation