Gulf oil spill

General discussion of subjects beyond the scope of the other forums.

Re: Gulf oil spill

Postby Wolf Bird » Thu Sep 9, '10, 3:26 pm

BP just published their report about the spill, and list the series of failures that led to the disaster. Not surprisingly, they try to shift as much blame as possible to Transocean (rig owner) and Halliburton (did the cementing on the well) which is right to a point as all are at fault, but...BP pushed too much blame off itself. Here's an abbreviated article...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... l-failures

I saw a longer one yesterday or the day before, but I failed to bookmark it.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Fri Sep 10, '10, 12:13 am

Yeah, I have to agree that there's far too much blame shifting there. It's to be expected, though. BP is already losing a ton of money, so they'll want to avoid being found at fault if at all possible.

Here's another news story, one that recreates the events leading up to the explosion:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100909/ap_ ... a_disaster
That one doesn't do much to solve the question of who is at fault, but it does put forth the idea that some people involved had worries about potential problems.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Tweeg » Fri Sep 10, '10, 1:29 am

Retrospective's give good insight into the faults of officials to acknowledge warnings, but it does nothing for the people who lost their lives because those same officials failed to act on said warnings. To be honest, I was stunned reading that that they even had the ability to predict the catastrophic failure days in advance.
WELCOME TO THE NEXT LEVEL --- SEGA
PSO Archive
Tweeg
Esper Elder
Esper Elder

Achievements: 52

Previous

Return to Casual Conversation