Guild Wars

Discussing all the gaming matters not covered in the other forums.

Guild Wars

Postby Fogeltje » Sat Jun 14, '08, 11:44 am

I once swore never to play MMORPGs. But a friend almost physically threatened me into it and since it has no monthly fee I gave it a try. Became totally hooked. Initially I had bought Prophecies (the 1 million players version) and it was soon followed by Nightfall, Factions and Eye of the North.

I just love it, the sceneries are (mostly) so beautiful and it has great music. Good music is very important to me when playing games. It's just a bit time consuming :D

Anyone else playing Guild Wars?
"Rolf, there's no hope for me. If Neifirst is dead, I must die, too."
And in so saying, Nei silently closed her eyes.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 40

Postby Thoul » Sun Jun 15, '08, 12:40 am

I haven't, but I was thinking about it once. I passed due to my poor internet connection then, but now I have a better one, so maybe I'll look at it again. The lack of a monthly fee certainly makes it sound attractive.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Fogeltje » Sun Jun 15, '08, 10:35 am

Unfortunately I have no trial keys left anymore, I gave them to a friend to try out the game. But it's definitely worth considering. All games were recently priced down as well I think. In Europe they now cost 19.99 EUR each as far as I know, that should make for a dollar price between 15 and 20 I think. Prophecies, Nightfall and Factions are stand-alone. Each gives you four characters slots. Eye of the North is an expansion and you need one of the previous three games to play it.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Celeith » Sun Jun 15, '08, 11:07 pm

I use to play this game all the time when it first came out. I've made, remade and remade again so many characters its pathetic.. I think I still have like 10k gold in my storage from so long ago.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Thoul » Mon Jun 16, '08, 9:08 pm

Oh, the downloadable client requires a key, huh? I'll have to check on the price the next time I go to Wal-mart, if I can find it there. I know they used to carry Guild Wars, but the local store's been rearranging their electronics lately and now I can't find anything in that place.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Fogeltje » Tue Jun 17, '08, 10:59 am

Yes, like every game you have an initial purchase cost. When you buy a game in a store, make sure the key on the activation card hasn't been exposed yet. Without a valid key, the game will be useless.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Thoul » Tue Jun 17, '08, 9:55 pm

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to keep that in mind.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Thoul » Sat Jun 21, '08, 10:50 pm

I priced it today at Wal-mart - $40 for anything Guild Wars. It's half that at Amazon.com, so maybe I'll buy it from there. Since you've played several of the variations, which one do you think would be the best to start with?
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Fogeltje » Sun Jun 22, '08, 11:05 am

I would say Nightfall. Nightfall introduces the concept of Heroes, computer controlled henchman that can travel with you, level with you. You can equip them with better weapons and control them to some degree. It certainly makes playing a lot easier in the beginning, at least for my style of playing. I don't team up with strangers in general, I just want to play when I want and not wait on others to form a party with, unless they are members of my fellow guild
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Postby Thoul » Tue Jun 24, '08, 2:03 am

Yeah, that sounds like a really good thing to have along. I don't like teaming up with strangers either, so I'd probably be glad to have the henchman. Thanks. :)
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to General Gaming