Gryz

Hunt the source of evil as the millennium comes to an end.

Gryz

Postby Rune_Walsh » Sat Aug 9, '08, 7:26 am

I was recently playing Phantasy Star I again, and I noticed something about the bio-monster "Barbarian" that you can talk to on the planet Motavia - they look a lot like Gryz! So, I was wondering if Gryz was the same kind of creature as the "Barbarian"? Gryz appears a lot larger, but maybe the creatures evolved. :wink:

Thoughts?
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Lucas » Sat Aug 9, '08, 12:51 pm

Being a Motavian you could pretty much say that the Barbarian was one of Gryz's ancient ansestors. Sega definitly based Gryz off that enemy no doubt. :)
Lucas
Protector
Protector

Achievements: 175

Postby Thoul » Sun Aug 10, '08, 4:16 am

Most of the enemies seen on Motavia in PSI are creatures native to the planet. The Barbarians and similar monsters in other colors are the same race as Gryz, yeah. I think you can talk to some of those. They also appear in PSII, not as monsters, but as townspeople/NPCs like in PSIV.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Rune_Walsh » Wed Aug 13, '08, 10:29 am

Thoul wrote:Most of the enemies seen on Motavia in PSI are creatures native to the planet. The Barbarians and similar monsters in other colors are the same race as Gryz, yeah. I think you can talk to some of those. They also appear in PSII, not as monsters, but as townspeople/NPCs like in PSIV.

Ah, that's right! I completely forgot about that. :D

And you're right, of course - I also noticed that another creature, "Farmer" that looks almost exactly like "Barbarian", is another Gryz look-alike. ^^
Last edited by Rune_Walsh on Thu Aug 14, '08, 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Fogeltje » Wed Aug 13, '08, 1:20 pm

The "Motavians" are E. Farmer, N. Farmer and Barbarian. The farmers seem to have a knife attack while the Barbarian carries a gun. N. Farmers gave a Cola when you defeated, didn't the Barbarian too?
"Rolf, there's no hope for me. If Neifirst is dead, I must die, too."
And in so saying, Nei silently closed her eyes.
Fogeltje
Cyborg
Cyborg

Achievements: 40

Postby Brutus » Fri Aug 29, '08, 3:01 am

They're all Motavians of different sorts. Were there ever a village in PS with Motavians that you could talk to? I don't think so, but i don't remember. I know the Motavian appearance in PS2 was all too brief, anyway... we really didn't get to know much about them until PS4.
Brutus
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 8

Postby Lemina » Fri Aug 29, '08, 8:28 pm

Now that you guys mention it; I remember E farmer! They do look kind of like Gryz. :idea: I've never noticed before!

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Srijita » Fri Aug 29, '08, 8:58 pm

[face=Times New Roman]Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall that one never has to fight any of the native Motavians on PS1. Conversation will suffice. :) Their designation as barbarians probably just reflects innate Parmanian prejudices!

On PS2, they'll offer Rolf and company some cake during their trek through the garbage dump in Roron. Predictably, it should carry a health and safety warning. But the group benefit from Motavian generosity not long afterwards, when they acquire a sparkling new jet scooter.[/face]
Srijita
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 15

Postby Thoul » Fri Aug 29, '08, 9:55 pm

One thing I didn't like about the Generation 1 remake - they removed the ability to talk to monsters (as least as far as I can tell). Even the poor Motavians are reduced to generic bad guys through that. :(

Were there ever a village in PS with Motavians that you could talk to? I don't think so, but i don't remember.

Nope. That was another thing they didn't get until PSIV, like you mentioned.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lemina » Fri Aug 29, '08, 10:49 pm

^ They got rid of the "Chat" command? *.

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Next

Return to Phantasy Star IV