GroundHog Day

Celebrating all those special times in each year.

GroundHog Day

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Mon Feb 2, '09, 11:34 pm

Well, it looks like " Punxsutawney Phil ", The #1 groundhog in Pennsylvania (and probably the Nation) did see his shadow this morning (groundhog day), which means 6 more weeks of winter weather, according to groundhog tradition, etc.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28974906/?GT1=43001

That news can either be classified as "good news" or "bad news", depending on how you feel about winter. :wink:

As far as I am concerned, it is HORRIBLE news as I am so ready for winter to be over already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, if you think about it, whether the groundhog sees his shadow or not, there are still going to be atleast 6 more weeks of winter until Spring arrives - you can tell that just by looking at the calendar. :yaknow:

I know there are other groundhogs in different areas who also give predictions on groundhog day, but I haven't heard what any of the rest of them predicted. Anyone else know if they agree or disagree with " Phil " ????

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Feb 3, '09, 7:25 pm

Read a story this morning that New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg was bitten by a groundhog yesterday during Groundhog day festivities. The Mayor seems to be okay and won't have to take rabies shots since the animal was raised in captivity, etc.

New York's famous groundhog is apparently named "Charles G. Hogg", and his nick name is "Staten Island Chuck". :)

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyo ... 4201.story

There was an interesting poll in the article about whether or not you believe groundhogs can predict the weather or Spring's arrival. So, what do you think?

Can Groundhogs Predict the weather and Spring - Yes or No ?

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Tue Feb 3, '09, 9:02 pm

I'd have to say I don't believe this one. I've seen the groundhogs get it wrong too many times.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: GroundHog Day

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Feb 2, '10, 10:31 pm

Bumping this thread up for a new year in 2010.

Sad news :grumpy: that ole official groundhog, Punxsutawney Phil in Philadelphia, saw his shadow this morning which means 6 more weeks of winter weather. :cry: :bang: :x

Oh man, I hope he's wrong about that. I'm ready for Spring already!

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Rune_Walsh » Tue Feb 2, '10, 11:04 pm

GZ and I are going to watch "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray tonight, in spirit of Punxsutawney Phil and Groundhog Day (one of my fave movies). :mrgreen:

And I'm with you, Silver... I am sooooo ready for Spring.
Rune_Walsh
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 9

Postby Thoul » Tue Feb 2, '10, 11:18 pm

The weather forecast is calling for snow this weekend here, so I'm not holding out much hope for an early spring this year. :(
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Darkil » Wed Feb 3, '10, 2:31 am

Apparently Phil saw his shadow so we're up for 6 more weeks of snow.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Feb 1, '11, 8:44 pm

Tomorrow (Wednesday), Feb. 2, is "Groundhog Day" in the U.S. and Canada!

Anyone want to make any predictions this year as to whether the world famous Groundhogs will see their shadow, or not??

With the upcoming weather in the U.S. predicted to be so bad, it will be a surprise if any groundhogs see their shadow here, but we'll have to wait and see what happens. :wink:

http://www.moberlymonitor.com/news/x192 ... ore-winter

Silver_Surfer1

Postby Thoul » Tue Feb 1, '11, 8:54 pm

I'm ready for winter to be over. I'm tired of the cold. We seem to be out of the snowy season here now, but the rainy season has begun. We can use the rain, but I just wish it was more consistently warm.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Fri Feb 3, '12, 8:34 am

Well, today was Groundhog day and according to sources, Phil the official groundhog did see his shadow which means six more weeks of winter weather:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html

Okay, first, I'm wondering how he saw his shadow when it was partly cloudy, etc., but nonetheless, it remains to be seen whether his weather prediction will come to pass, or not. Groundhogs are wrong sometimes, ya know, and this could be one of those times. :lol:

Anyone here have an official groundhog from your town or area who made a prediction today, and if so, did they see their shadow or not?

Regardless of the groundhog's prediction, if you think about it, there are probably atleast six more weeks of winter anyway until Spring arrives in March, and we'll just have to wait and see if we have winter weather during those weeks or the Spring weather we have been having lately here....it was nearly 70 degrees here today...wooo hooo!!! That's the kind of winter weather I love!!!

Oh yeah, one more thing, has anyone here actually seen a groundhog?? I got one of the biggest shocks of my life a few months ago when I saw a strange looking creature out in our yard and a friend said it was a groundhog.....eeek!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know who ran away the fastest and the fartherest...me or the groundhog....:lol:

Happy Groundhog day this year of 2012 all!! :)

Silver_Surfer1

Next

Return to Holidays