Pick your own fruit?

Warning: Talking about food might make you hungry. ;)

Pick your own fruit?

Postby Thoul » Tue May 19, '09, 5:57 pm

I read an article this morning suggesting that sometime in the next ten years or so, supermarkets might stock fruit in a different way. They may start carrying the actual plants and allowing people to pick their own fruit straight from the tree. The article claims this would be more environmentally friendly and cut down on costs.

What do you think, will we ever see major store chains carrying plants you can pic the fruit from? I could possibly see it working with something like a tomato plant, but not much else. Apple trees? Watermelons? That kind of thing seems like it wouldn't work too well. Plants would also take up a lot more space in the stores.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Re: Pick your own fruit?

Postby Wolf Bird » Tue May 19, '09, 5:59 pm

For some things...it might work, but I don't know if it will become widespread. Honestly, if you want to pick your fruit, grow it yourself or see if any local small farms will let you pick your own from their crop for a small fee. There's one around here that does that with strawberries and they get a LOT of customers for it.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Re: Pick your own fruit?

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue May 19, '09, 11:14 pm

I don't think this will become too widespread in many supermarkets simply because of the space needed to put all these trees, vines, etc. Supermarkets are crowded enough now with some having very limited aisle space, etc., for customers to try and wade through all the other shoppers as it is. This could become a nightmare! :yikes: And could you just image how many trees, vines, etc. of each fruit or food the store would need to meet supply for thousands of customers every day,week, etc.?

And could you just image what would happen to all the kids who run all over the stores and decide they want to go "climb" that apple tree ......, perhaps then falling out of it and being injured!!!!!!!!! Or deciding they want to eat the leaves instead of the fruit which might make them sick!!! Unsupervised kids will do almost anything and there are a lot of them in some grocery stores, and they are very clever in finding out how to do what they want to do.

I think the better idea is as Caged Wolf mentioned with farmers, etc., having "pick your own" days, etc., where you can go there and get what you want. We have a number of those farms around our area, I think, but I've never been to one. We also have areas for "Farmers Markets" where farmers can bring their fresh produce, etc., and sell it there, already picked and ready to go!

:rose: Happy 27th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo :rose:
~ Founded April 01, 1997 ~

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Return to Delectable Delicacies