Green Grasses and Azura Skies - PSIII (live piano)

Remixes and original creations by fans - as games, audio, videos or other forms - shine in this spotlight.

Green Grasses and Azura Skies - PSIII (live piano)

Postby augmentedfourth » Mon Dec 17, '12, 8:05 pm

Now that I have my own house, I inherited the family piano! It needs to be tuned, but it's still in great condition (considering this is the third house it's been moved to!), and I love it. I've had a couple PS medleys and arrangements bouncing around my head for years, and I finally decided to see if I could put one together!

I chose the PSIII overworld and moon themes. For the former, I wanted to highlight how the original game layered on what's really a simple theme based on the number of characters in your parts (which I always thought was really cool). It starts off kind of slow and soft and basic, but I assure you, things will pick up! I tried to stay pretty close to the original, but in the 5th statement of the theme, I played around with some of the voicings to make it more...heroic, I guess?

I don't have any fancy recording equipment, so you're going to have to live with my digital camera and a couple missed chords. :wink: Hey, I'm not a professional pianist, nor do I claim to be one!

augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Achievements: 256

Re: Green Grasses and Azura Skies - PSIII (live piano)

Postby Bragatyr » Mon Dec 17, '12, 8:35 pm

Very cool stuff, and I'm glad to see that you have a piano and are uploading Phantasy Star music! I can't wait to see what comes next.
Bragatyr
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 65

Postby myau56 » Mon Dec 17, '12, 10:57 pm

Really excellent ! Maybe not a professional pianist but that's very good ! And the mixing themes are awesome ! Congratulations :)
Me too : the Phantasy Star 3 Overworld theme(s) is/are excellent ! The addition in five different ways si so great ! I love this game.
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Achievements: 209

Postby Silver_Surfer1 » Tue Dec 18, '12, 7:22 am

Beautiful piano and you play very well also!! :clap: Thanks for sharing this with us. I listened to it all also. I love piano music. I only wish I could play my piano half as good as you play this one. Terrific!! :)
Good Friday ~ March 29, 2024

:rose: Happy 26th Anniversary Fringes Of Algo~Founded April 01, 1997 :rose:

Silver_Surfer1

Achievements: 499

Postby augmentedfourth » Tue Dec 18, '12, 6:04 pm

Thanks for your kind comments! I'm just glad to have the piano in the house, even if I sometimes have to fight my husband for it. :D

Next on the list is likely going to be something from the original Phantasy Star, but I'm not going to give away all my secrets just yet.... (Actually, next on the list is getting the piano tuned, as it doesn't bother me in real-time, but it's been bugging me on the recording. I'll call the tuner after Christmas. Then I'm going to play around with both my camera settings and Youtube to see if I can maybe manage a slightly better quality. But THEN I'll get to the PSI stuff!)
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby myau56 » Tue Dec 18, '12, 7:43 pm

Ah PSI stuff ! Great news !! My favourite one ! :) Good luck for the next "work" and keep up !
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby doncair99 » Wed Dec 19, '12, 2:08 am

That was amazing! i think you did wonderful! Especially with the piano being out of tune!
doncair99
Guardian
Guardian

Achievements: 153

Postby augmentedfourth » Fri Dec 21, '12, 11:37 pm

myau56 wrote:Ah PSI stuff ! Great news !! My favourite one ! :) Good luck for the next "work" and keep up !

It's my favorite too! :D I think it has the best music overall in the series (the other games have some great tracks, but a slew of forgettable ones; I think PSI was the most consistently good). I've actually finished writing out my next piece, but I'm still waiting on the tuning. Playing around with the themes and analyzing them from a music theory standpoint has given me an even deeper appreciation for the music I already loved, and part of me thinks it's kind of magical that 25 years later, there's still so much I can learn about it.

But I'll save the more specific details for the next thread. :wink:
augmentedfourth
Esper Novice
Esper Novice

Postby myau56 » Sat Dec 22, '12, 9:48 am

It's your favorite too ? Yes !! As it'sv my first one, I'm very proud to have started the serie with...the first one ! ;)
But I must concede that for me the best tunes are in the third opus ! But I love the musics of the first one, as there is some of the best of all tracks in all the serie (Lassic and Darkfalz's themes !).
There is always so much we can learn from AND for a not of things !
No problem about the details : we are waiting "eagerly" for them ! ;) :up:
Phantasy Star Forever

myau56
Algolian Master
Algolian Master

Postby Xander » Mon Jan 14, '13, 10:33 pm

None too shabby, Jen, for something you picked up today and recorded on a camcorder. I always liked how the overworld theme was added to with new party members. It fit well with the overall tone of things the game moved along.
Plus it's nice to hear something being played straight off the bat by someone who knows what they're doing. You don't get that a lot in the VGM scene, bar the people who make the music for the actual games themselves.

And I listened to it from start to finish, so that's always a good sign. ^^ Do more...when you're not writing them steamy stories, that is. ;)
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Return to Fan Games, Music, Video & More