Great Games No One Knows

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Re: Great Games No One Knows

Postby OhNoHumans » Sun Mar 28, '10, 6:17 pm

I remember playing Subterrania, and got kind of far in that.

My Genesis game would be Ranger-X. Cool game, but it seemed to be pretty damn hard. I rented it once, and didn't beat it, let alone make too much progress.
"...Please don't look at me that way. It's not nice."
OhNoHumans
Shopkeeper
Shopkeeper

Achievements: 9

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed Jun 30, '10, 9:25 am

I can't remember if I posted this before but I am going to anyway. A great game that nobody has heard of...

Siege Of Avalon.

It's a game that was created back in 2000. It is honestly one of the best games I played. It has a feel of Diablo in it if it had RPG elements in it. The equipment customization for your character is fantastic, one time, just to look good, I switched two armors I had just so my character looked good.

Honestly, for those who enjoy reading and playing games, I suggest getting this game. Last time I saw it for sale, it was $0.95 at EB Games. I got this game from my uncle who paid $1.95 but personally, I'd pay $19.99 for this game. If you really want to see what this game is like, I know there is a Chapter One demo somewhere on the internet (there are 6 chapters all together. If you get the Anthology CD like I have, it has all 6 chapters) that you guys can play for free.

One thing I like about this game is that it is about 1GB in size (always seemed like more to me) and once you install it on your computer, you don't need to put in your disc to play. This means you can share it with friends pretty easily. =D

If anyone wants to play this game, I'm sure I can help you out. Just shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do.
A simple text based signature? That's impossible!
Atlinsmere

Achievements: 392

Postby Thoul » Wed Jun 30, '10, 8:55 pm

That looks like a pretty good game. Sounds like it goes for a great price, too. The next time I'm near a game store, I'll have to look for it.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Wed Jun 30, '10, 9:09 pm

It's a really great game. There is about 20-30 hours of gameplay. The AI adapts and becomes stronger depending on your stats and equipment. I know this because I hacked the game so I could change the starting weapon. I gave myself one of the better swords that'd I'd be able to use. When I got to my first enemy, I was killed with one hit. Normally that type of enemy would kill me in about 3-7 hits. =(

The games AI isn't perfect however, but it does make for interesting gameplay.
Atlinsmere

Postby Xander » Wed Jun 30, '10, 9:45 pm

I'm going to add acouple of mine now. The first one is Strife. Released in 1996 it was built on the DooM engine and has often been seen as a strange form of RPG and FPS. It has a reputation as being overlooked by a lot of people, but I personally love the game to bits, even if it is just a standard FPS at the end of the day. Plus it has 3 endings, good, not so good and bad.

My second one has to be Shadow Warrior. From the people who made Duke Nukem 3D, it shares a lot of the same qualities, like one-liners, lots of massive explosions and such like. Plus cutting people in half with a sword is funny but so is punching them to death or blowing them up with the nuclear missile launcher. :D
Last edited by Xander on Wed Jun 30, '10, 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

Postby Thoul » Fri Jul 2, '10, 2:18 am

Atlinsmere wrote:The AI adapts and becomes stronger depending on your stats and equipment. I know this because I hacked the game so I could change the starting weapon. I gave myself one of the better swords that'd I'd be able to use. When I got to my first enemy, I was killed with one hit. Normally that type of enemy would kill me in about 3-7 hits. =(

That's interesting. It's not often that a game makes the enemies adapt to the player like that. I hope the AI is smart enough that you can't go through the whole game with low level equipment, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Atlinsmere » Fri Jul 2, '10, 2:53 am

Thoul wrote:
Atlinsmere wrote:The AI adapts and becomes stronger depending on your stats and equipment. I know this because I hacked the game so I could change the starting weapon. I gave myself one of the better swords that'd I'd be able to use. When I got to my first enemy, I was killed with one hit. Normally that type of enemy would kill me in about 3-7 hits. =(

That's interesting. It's not often that a game makes the enemies adapt to the player like that. I hope the AI is smart enough that you can't go through the whole game with low level equipment, though.

Only if you have a death wish. =P

Though the enemies sometimes just stand there when I attack them. But that's okay, my scout usually dies in about 2-5 hits. =(
Atlinsmere

Postby Rick » Fri Jul 2, '10, 3:30 am

I had that game.. I lost the install CD for it :( Gamestop near me never has it in stock.

It was planned to be a series of games but the company folded after that one was released.

It's a interesting story of a desperate group of people. The hardest chapter was 5 where you had to sneak into the camp, steal the staff and replace it with another and make it back out.

That was easy compared to the LICH one. You need a walthrough cause the game doesn't tell you who you need to invite so that the lich is killed.
Rick
Android
Android

Achievements: 49

Postby Tanith » Fri Jul 2, '10, 5:01 am

You're making me all nostalgic for 1990s FPSers, Xander! I always got my butt kicked in them, but it was still fun to linking up with my friends through the modem for some deathmatch fun.
Tanith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 204

Postby Xander » Fri Jul 2, '10, 8:25 am

Heh, funnily enough I went and played Shadow Warrior yesterday and got my butt kicked in the process. I couldn't believe I had gotten so bad at it. :D
Deathmatching is good fun too. I used to DM with Doom until a couple of months ago, though I'd either be landed with someone who would nail me to the wall or someone who quit after I kill them 3 times, so it wasn't always so great.

Ok, 2 more now, both favourites of mine. The first one is HeXen. It's a class based medieval FPS of sorts but with axes, magic etc. The three classes to choose from are the Fighter, Cleric and Mage. Pretty standard fare. It has a linear gameplay style but the various areas of the world are divided into hubs that have to be complete to move on to the next world, usually by gathering items together and defeating a boss.

The next one is one I can't believe I forgot. Blood is another FPS I adore, mainly because it's full of action and a ton of black humour. There's rarely a dull moment to be had. From speeding trains to mountaintop temples. Plus the weapons are awesome and incredibly funny. I loved using the voodoo doll and watching it twitch as the pin got stuck in the eye or the crotch. And then there's taking an aerosol can and lighter and setting people on fire with it. Pure win. :D
"There's nothing wrong with you that I can't fix...with my hands!!"

ImageImage
Xander
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 189

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Roundup