Great Games No One Knows

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Postby Darkil » Tue Feb 3, '09, 2:57 am

Kaloes wrote:Lunar Silver Star Story (LSSS and LSSSC) is a game most people don't know about. Now if you grew up in the NES - PS1 days then you would know what I'm talking about when i mention Lunar. But for the majority of people who have grown up on the PS2 era and are only interested in graphics rather then storyline this game I believe falls in the category of games no one knows. Its such a shame that newer gamers cannot understand the greatness of sprite based games.

This game was one of the best gems and a classic. It's a shame that most stories aren't as compelling as this one was.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Re: Great Games No One Knows

Postby dimples » Sun Aug 16, '09, 11:28 am

Rock Manager was probably one of these games. I don't know anyone who would have played it
dimples
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Postby itsbobtista » Tue Aug 18, '09, 6:07 am

Goemon: Mystical Ninja, .hack//, Kokuukan Naita: Pro Baseball King.. All great games :)
itsbobtista
Innkeeper
Innkeeper

Achievements: 9

Postby Wolf Bird » Sat Sep 26, '09, 4:56 pm

I think Ico falls under this category. I mean, lots of people have heard of Shadow of the Colossus, which is a prequel that came out 4 years after Ico (made by the same people) but Ico itself seems to have fallen into the same black hole of ignored awesomeness as Earthbound, Psychonauts, and Okami. Anyway, you're a 12-year-old boy who's been cast out of his village to die in an ancient castle because you have horns on your head, and that's a bad omen. But you break free of your prison, and you run into a pretty, ghostly white girl who's really weak and speaks a different language from you. But you decide you have a mutual interest in leaving the castle, so they team up. Problem...girl is pathetically weak and do can't half the things Ico can do when it comes to moving around the castle. The only she can do that Ico can't is open special doors. So the whole game is built around puzzle solving...how to get from point A to point B, and then mess around with things so the girl (Yorda) can also get from point A to point B. I won't spoil anything else, but if you're lucky enough to happen upon a copy ($20 used) and you have a PS2, pick it up.
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Darkil » Wed Jan 27, '10, 1:40 pm

I wonder if anyone remembers Guardian Heroes on the Sega Saturn?
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Re:

Postby Abominae » Thu Feb 4, '10, 8:48 pm

Tsunami wrote:Around a month or so ago, I went through some roms and stumbled across E.V.O.: Search for Eden. It's an RPG that is very unique in many aspects (from my experience, anyways). You play the role of an organism going through the journey of life (quite literally) as the world evolves around you. And, as the theory of evolution goes, you start off as a fish and the theme of the game is "survival of the fittest". So, in other words, you eat the other fishes/weaker creatures and gain EVO points.

Here's where it gets interesting on how they handle it.

You don't level in this game. Instead, you gain EVO points from eating meat left behind and when you have enough points, you can go to the menu and spend the points on upgrading a part of your body. You can increase body size, get stronger jaws for more attack, get an upgrade on fins... I really liked this feature, and the development is completely up to you as far as evolving anything goes. You can also save/record your forms and reuse them later when you find green crystals, however the time is limited and you will eventually revert back.

I'll be brief on gameplay. It's a side-scroller (think Mario...and yes, you can jump on enemies if you wish it :D) and you can attack through various means (depending on what you are), like biting, ramming, kicking, etc.. Defeat another animal and you get food (meat) which restores health and awards you EVO points. Enemies do respawn. Each chapter has a number of areas that you need to clear/pass through, and it is linear. There are bosses, too (IE the first boss is a shark). If you die, you lose half of your EVO points, so saving your progress would be a good idea. :p

There are five chapters in this game, each respectively having its own theme: Fish (ocean), Amphibians (part desert, some vegetation), Reptiles (land is tropical in appearance), Mammals (ice age), More Mammals (the world is now separated into the continents and lush with forests and the like). While the final chapter also has mammals, their role is much stronger than in the previous chapter. In each chapter, you are given a new body, though in chapter four you can choose to become a mammal or stay as a reptile.

It's a really fun game and has high replay value since you can try different evolutions and combinations. ^_^

Has anyone else heard of this game or tried it before? :?

I played this game about 3 years ago on a dreamcast - snes emulator (i was using my dreamcast to play SNES games). Anyway, I really got hooked on the first 4 chapters of the game... but on the 4th chapter, I got stuck. The abominable snowman kept kicking my *** and I could do nothing to get past him. After about a month of occassional attempts, I finally got to the 5th chapter. I stopped. I don't remember what happend after that. I think I still have the memory for that, but... I don't know. If I don't, oh well... Some parts were tediously difficult to the point where I lost interest in the game.
Abominae
Hunter
Hunter

Achievements: 27

Postby MrKite » Wed Mar 3, '10, 7:30 am

One game I know of that most people have never heard of is a game by Capcom called Dynasty Wars that was released in 1989, which is based on Hiroshi Motomiya's Tenchi wo Kurau manga, which is set during the Romance of the Three Kingdoms period in ancient China. It was also the first Capcom game that gave you multiple characters to choose from. Also has a great soundtrack by Manami Matsumae, who did part of the music for Mega Man and Mega Man 2. And I'm no expert in arcade collecting, but I never see this game show up on ebay. All I ever see is the kit instruction manual. How many kits did they make of this game? 5? Anyway, yeah, it's a good game. It also didn't get many home ports. There was a japanese only version for the PC Engine released in 1994, and the only english home versions were for home computers like the ZX Spectrum, the Amstrad CPC and the Commodore 64.
Mr. Kite, FOA's resident Alys Brangwin fanboy. Thank you Lyla2284 for making this pic that I used to make this sig.

MrKite
Sage
Sage

Achievements: 59

Postby Solar » Thu Mar 4, '10, 5:09 pm

Spirit Engine 2. A really unknown indie RPG with great music and a very interesting battle system. It was just recently released as freeware. Go, play it. Now. http://www.thespiritengine.com/tse2-download.php
Solar
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 89

Postby Celeith » Sun Mar 7, '10, 4:58 am

MrKite wrote:One game I know of that most people have never heard of is a game by Capcom called Dynasty Wars that was released in 1989, which is based on Hiroshi Motomiya's Tenchi wo Kurau manga, which is set during the Romance of the Three Kingdoms period in ancient China. It was also the first Capcom game that gave you multiple characters to choose from. Also has a great soundtrack by Manami Matsumae, who did part of the music for Mega Man and Mega Man 2. And I'm no expert in arcade collecting, but I never see this game show up on ebay. All I ever see is the kit instruction manual. How many kits did they make of this game? 5? Anyway, yeah, it's a good game. It also didn't get many home ports. There was a japanese only version for the PC Engine released in 1994, and the only english home versions were for home computers like the ZX Spectrum, the Amstrad CPC and the Commodore 64.

I remember playing that Dynasty Wars game.. It was kinda complicated for me to play at first cause I'm not really good at Romance of the Three Kingdoms style games.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby PSjunkie » Sun Mar 28, '10, 12:56 pm

Lunar 2 Eternal Blue is also an awesome game, imho better than Lunar Silver Star Story, maybe because I played LEB before LSTS, many wont agree but LEB will always have a place in my heart. It had a great cast of characters, so full of life and quirky persona's, I loved the villians and the voice acting, Lucia's char was great and how she learnt to be human. The love story between Hiro and Lucia was fantastic and how Ruby always got in the way. :up:
PSjunkie
Agent
Agent

Achievements: 30

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Roundup