Great Games No One Knows

Remembering the games of yesteryear.

Re: Great Games No One Knows

Postby Chris8282 » Tue Sep 16, '08, 2:45 pm

Neithird wrote:Terranigma is a fun game most people haven't heard of. It was for the SNES, but only released in Japan and Europe. The was the third in a series and sequel to Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia.

You could also say that Granstream Saga was in this series.. The fourth one to be exact.

LordShibas wrote:
Thoul wrote:Have you ever played a game that you really enjoyed, then asked friends about it and they hadn't heard of the game? If you have, tell us about them here! :)

A great game I played was Septerra Core for PC. It plays a lot like a classic Super Nintendo RPG and is very reminiscent of games like Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger.

Sweet. I played Septerra Core a long time ago, and I found it to be a great game. Nothing special, but well made, and worth the $9 I payed for it.

I got mine for dirt cheap as well. 0.01 on Amazon plus 3.99$ shipping. I wish console games were more like this :D I can get games that came out years and years ago for dirt cheap yet there are a lot of console games that are only a few months or years old and their price has skyrocketed.

But, my underrated game would have to be Phantasy Star IV. I say this game because I visit A LOT of Gaming forums, and, for some reason, this is the only truly great game (I feel it is better than any other JRPG in the era... But, it's still my favorite of all time.) that they've never played or even heard of. It's so sad.. Especially with all of the re-releases that have come their way.
Chris8282
Explorer
Explorer

Achievements: 6

Postby Celeith » Fri Sep 19, '08, 3:11 pm

Basically a few don't know phantasy star IV or the other three for that matter is because they probably started with Online or Universe and decided that graphics are all important then storyline so they never really bothered to go back and play the games that started it all.
Cele~Chan Streaming
Saturday at 8pm cst and Sunday at 6pm cst.
The Subscribe button is just a click away.
Celeith
Palman
Palman

Achievements: 111

Postby Tsunami » Thu Nov 6, '08, 11:49 pm

Around a month or so ago, I went through some roms and stumbled across E.V.O.: Search for Eden. It's an RPG that is very unique in many aspects (from my experience, anyways). You play the role of an organism going through the journey of life (quite literally) as the world evolves around you. And, as the theory of evolution goes, you start off as a fish and the theme of the game is "survival of the fittest". So, in other words, you eat the other fishes/weaker creatures and gain EVO points.

Here's where it gets interesting on how they handle it.

You don't level in this game. Instead, you gain EVO points from eating meat left behind and when you have enough points, you can go to the menu and spend the points on upgrading a part of your body. You can increase body size, get stronger jaws for more attack, get an upgrade on fins... I really liked this feature, and the development is completely up to you as far as evolving anything goes. You can also save/record your forms and reuse them later when you find green crystals, however the time is limited and you will eventually revert back.

I'll be brief on gameplay. It's a side-scroller (think Mario...and yes, you can jump on enemies if you wish it :D) and you can attack through various means (depending on what you are), like biting, ramming, kicking, etc.. Defeat another animal and you get food (meat) which restores health and awards you EVO points. Enemies do respawn. Each chapter has a number of areas that you need to clear/pass through, and it is linear. There are bosses, too (IE the first boss is a shark). If you die, you lose half of your EVO points, so saving your progress would be a good idea. :p

There are five chapters in this game, each respectively having its own theme: Fish (ocean), Amphibians (part desert, some vegetation), Reptiles (land is tropical in appearance), Mammals (ice age), More Mammals (the world is now separated into the continents and lush with forests and the like). While the final chapter also has mammals, their role is much stronger than in the previous chapter. In each chapter, you are given a new body, though in chapter four you can choose to become a mammal or stay as a reptile.

It's a really fun game and has high replay value since you can try different evolutions and combinations. ^_^

Has anyone else heard of this game or tried it before? :?
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Wolf Bird » Fri Nov 7, '08, 1:08 am

Tsunami wrote:Has anyone else heard of this game or tried it before? :?

Actually, yes. I have a rom of it and have played it on my SNES emulator. However...I have not beaten it. I got to one area in chapter 4 or 5 and I got totally lost. I've gone back to it now and then, but not recently. I will say that the gameplay is a lot of fun. It's one of those games, among many, that sooner or later, I'll go back to and finish. I nearly did finish it over the summer...then Earthbound happened. But sooner or later... :p
Next Pokemon game(s): Pearl
Last finished Pokémon game: Shield
Other games: Skyrim Special Edition (Switch), Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch & PS4), Okami (Switch & PS4)
Other gaming goals: completing a Living Pokedex (minus some event Pokes) and going through at least 1 game per generation

Wolf Bird

Achievements: 420

Postby Thoul » Fri Nov 7, '08, 6:45 pm

I haven't played that one, but the name sounds familiar. I'm sure I heard of it back when it came out. I never knew that much detail about it, though.
Thoul
Administrator
Administrator

Achievements: 123

Postby Lemina » Thu Nov 13, '08, 10:17 pm

I think that I might of heard of a game similar to EVO, but I've never heard of it directly. Tell me, was it released in English at all? It sounds really fun~

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Tsunami » Fri Nov 14, '08, 9:50 am

Lemina wrote:I think that I might of heard of a game similar to EVO, but I've never heard of it directly. Tell me, was it released in English at all? It sounds really fun~
Yep! It was released in English. :) I am still surprised that I had never heard of it before trying it myself, as I had a blast with it...still need to beat it though. :p
Tsunami
Numan
Numan

Achievements: 22

Postby Lemina » Sun Nov 23, '08, 4:45 pm

I must track down that game then. The search is on!

Credits to Altin for the sig. Thank you dude! ^_^
Lemina
Esper Apprentice
Esper Apprentice

Achievements: 29

Postby Darkil » Tue Feb 3, '09, 2:53 am

Xellos wrote:I have played LufIa: fortress of doom and his precuel, Lufia 2 : Rise of the Sinistrals, both for snes.
i not know a guy tha knows these games

Oh! I have both Lufia and Lufia 2. Those were great games! I can't remember if I mentioned this in another thread or not but Koudelka was overlooked RPG for the original Playstation. It was the prequal to Shadow Hearts, which was also overlooked. Saiyuki Journey West was also loads of fun as it was based on The Monkey King story from China[which DBZ is loosely based on] but it was more of a Tactical RPG.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

Postby Darkil » Tue Feb 3, '09, 2:56 am

Kaloes wrote:Lunar Silver Star Story (LSSS and LSSSC) is a game most people don't know about. Now if you grew up in the NES - PS1 days then you would know what I'm talking about when i mention Lunar. But for the majority of people who have grown up on the PS2 era and are only interested in graphics rather then storyline this game I believe falls in the category of games no one knows. Its such a shame that newer gamers cannot understand the greatness of sprite based games.

This game was one of the best gems and a classic. It's a shame that most stories aren't as compelling as this one was.
Shhh my common sense is tingling
Darkil
Dezorian
Dezorian

Achievements: 54

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Roundup